Copper block with aluminium rad?

bacskomark

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017
Hello. So there is this decade old question, but every thread out there seems to be outdated. So my main question is, can I use an aluminium rad with a nickel plated copper block. Every thread seems to say NO, as for galvanic corrosion. But my main concern is that almost EVERY AIO made uses a COPPER block and an ALUMINIUM rad. So is my seidon 240m that I'll reuse the radiator from. My coolant is mayhems blood red x1, which is pre mixed and has corrosion inhibitors mixed in. So will I be okay (For like a month or 2) because afterwards I'm planning to change my rad for a full copper one. So if the answer is no, then why would AIO makers take such a risk with "mixing metals" in a closed loop?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You can buy very good brass/copper rads for $50 or so, not sure why you'd want to A) use an aluminum rad designed by the lowest bidder, and B) be forced to use that very narrow tubing that almost every AIO uses, rather than using larger diameter tubing with a good pump.

Also, I don't believe that the internal surface of the block is plated, but it might be that the entire copper surface is plated...would have to see which block.

You also will want to make sure you run an anti-corrosive coolant. There's plenty of electromagnetic fields in your PC case (including your pump impeller) that will add to this corrosion problem.

Seems like you might be skimping on some steps to speed along your build timeline rather than gathering your (good) components?

bacskomark

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017
The whole cooling plate is plated, and it has a clear acrylic top, so I can see the fins and everything. And yes I'm planning to upgrade down the line, as I've mentioned. And no, I'm not using the narrow tubing came with the AIO. I'm only using the radiator itself. I've had experience with watercooling before, but that was an all copper solution. Also as I've also mentioned the cooling solution does have corrosion inhibitors premixed into the solution.