dhlucke

Polypheme
A note on "Blue" or "Green" colored AMD dies...

Many of you out there just getting into the overclocking scene may have heard about "blue" or "green" colored AMD die's. Now let me clarify what a die is. On an AMD chip, the spot in the center of the ceramic where the actual wafer of silicone is contained is what they are referring too. In the light, it will either shine green or blue. Sometimes this is indistinguishable but more often than not, you'll be able to tell. The reason why this is often thought of as important is because the newer Dresden fabrication plant uses the blue coloring to distinguish it's fab from others. Now, some people say this also refers to the CPU having copper interconnects or not, well... let me set the record straight.

According to AMD's latest tech brief, they've decided to hold off on producing copper interconnects on their .18 micron process due to the "faults with present technology." In real person talk this simply means that they don't think present copper technology amounts to much and so, aren't going to waste the money on upgrading their fab plants just yet. Although copper is a better electrical conductor and looks good on paper, at this present time when it is new to the PC industry, I tend to agree with AMD. Maybe this will be something to look forward to when everyone converts to .13 micron... but until then, don't expect to find copper anywhere.

Sorry to disappoint many of you who were hoping the rumors were true, but this writer has the skinny from AMD and is gonna run with it, got that? ;) For now, copper interconnects are fictional as far as amd durons are concerned and remains the subject of many heated debates as to whether or not the thunderbird contains them either. For right now at least, neither of them do.

Despite all of this, "Blue" colored cores seem to overclock better than green ones for some reason or another. Whether it be coincidence or merely the fact that blue is made in a NEW plant with newer machines, still remains to be seen. But this fact is still out there and whenever you see "blue" mentioned describing a core, you can pretty much bet it'll be a winner where overclocking is concerned.
<A HREF="http://www.athlonoc.com/ochowto3.php" target="_new">http://www.athlonoc.com/ochowto3.php</A>

Is this true or not? So where do we stand now as far as buying retail vs OEM if we are overclocking? Wouldn't it just make more sense to buy OEM and buy a good HSF?

<font color=red>Amd or Intel? Who cares?? Not me...</font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I can't believe this didn't get a single response. This is the backbone for the reason people buy retail over OEM when they plan on OCing. Does this change anything?

dhlucke

Polypheme
Well, we all remember <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">Steve's Commentary </A> and since I've always bought OEM I was a bit flustered since now retail was looking like it was worth it. So should I just buy OEM again now? Doesn't OC a retail chip void the 3 year warrenty anyways? Or would they not know? I'm thinking it might just be better to get a good FOP32 or something with an OEM T-bird.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Personally I fugure any warranty is pretty much crap as soon as you get it.

Will you still have the receipt for your cpu in 2 years time? Do you really think anyone will give a monkey's arse about what will then be a $70 cpu (if it started out as top line). Think about the value of a 1G Athlon bought today. In 2 years they probably won't be available even.

The only question is overclocking. I do not see any big issue with retail v.s. oem in new AMD chips. I haven't heard anyone that tried not be able to overclock an Axia massively - shich seems to suggest there aren't ANY bad ones out there.

Whay are the new chips not locked? Is it fo AMDs binning purposes (yield selection) or because they know everyone (that wants to) is overclocking them and they are happy about it???

OEM baby - all the way!

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

dhlucke

Polypheme
That's what I'm thinking too. The only reason I hesitate is since this will be my first OC experience. I've bought AMD (a duron) before, so I'm pretty comfortable with AMD. It's just a matter of making sure it OC's (a tbird) and lasts for that 1.5 years that I need it....

bhc

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Wow, that is interesting news. I always thought AMD Dresden fab is using copper backend (metalization). In fact, I met an AMD backend manager in a conference about a year and a half ago, and I learned that they were working hard at that time to bring up the copper technology from Motorola (which in terms from IBM) in Dresden.

On the other hand, I would agree with the statement that copper provides little advantage for the 0.18 micron technology. That is why Intel never uses it. However, the consensus is that it is absolutely needed in the 0.13 technology. So to do it in the 0.18 micron may provide an easier transition to the 0.13 micron. In any event, both Intel and AMD already announced that they will use copper for the 0.13.

**Spin all you want, but we the paying consumers will have the final word**

TRENDING THREADS