[SOLVED] Copper layer on gpu heatsink corroding?

TheHardwareStudent

Commendable
Jun 28, 2017
Today I wanted to repaste my gpu. It had the factory paste on it till today. (It never has been watercooled or the heatsink removed) I looked at the heatspreader and the copper seamed to have tiny dents and the aluminium was showing trough and partially gone. Here are The pictures. Is it okay to just repaste it? Should I sand it down? Should I buy a new block?

Solution
Today I wanted to repaste my gpu. It had the factory paste on it till today. (It never has been watercooled or the heatsink removed) I looked at the heatspreader and the copper seamed to have tiny dents and the aluminium was showing trough and partially gone. Here are The pictures. Is it okay to just repaste it? Should I sand it down? Should I buy a new block?
That is fairly common and is part of the reason for using the paste along with transfering the heat.

It will work fine like it is.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
That is fairly common and is part of the reason for using the paste along with transfering the heat.

It will work fine like it is.

Last edited:
Solution