[SOLVED] copy files off 5 1/4 diskette ?

petercli

Prominent
Jul 5, 2020
Hi ,

I have some software I wrote back in 1986 , using DOS , located on 5 1/4 diskettes.

Is there a service that can recover the files?

Thanks,PEter

Solution

Thanks,PEter

I would think your best bet is to contact you local computer service shops and describe your intentions. Hopefully they will have a machine with a working 5.25 drive to read your disks and then copy the data to another media.

There are some external 5.25 drives out there, but they are kinda pricey I think, and the connectors vary quite a bit. (you won't find USB).

Building your own portable drive may be complicated as well depending on your current hardware. The old 5.25 drives required a 34 pin connector to the MB which the newer boards don't have, let alone a FDD controller.

Good Luck ;b

ImWolf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2019

Thanks,PEter

I would think your best bet is to contact you local computer service shops and describe your intentions. Hopefully they will have a machine with a working 5.25 drive to read your disks and then copy the data to another media.

There are some external 5.25 drives out there, but they are kinda pricey I think, and the connectors vary quite a bit. (you won't find USB).

Building your own portable drive may be complicated as well depending on your current hardware. The old 5.25 drives required a 34 pin connector to the MB which the newer boards don't have, let alone a FDD controller.

Good Luck ;b

Solution