[SOLVED] Copy Two Identical Files to Avoid Bad Sector Corruption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2022
I have a backup idea, but I dont know it's effective or not. So I need your opinion about this.

I have a 2TB Hard drive. Make 2 partition, then copy exactly same files in that two partition:
  • Partition 1 = Backup Wolfz (500mb)
  • Partition 2 = Backup Wolfz (500mb) <== exactly same like partition 1
I think this method can prevent data loss because of bad sector corruption, because when Data loss in lets say partition 1, I still have a copy from partition 2.

Am I right? Or it's not effective?

NOTE: Dont recommend to have more than one backup, this question just to answer my curiousity.

Solution
Forgot to say that I copy file directly from PC to partition, not from partition1 to partition2..

Wolfz Backup (from PC) to Partition 1, then
Wolfz Backup (from PC) to Partition 2
And still subject to the same issues that can befall a single copy on a single partition.
Physical drive death, virus, accidental formatting, etc, etc....

3-2-1
3 copies, on at least 2 different media, at least 1 off site or otherwise offline.

USAFRet

Titan
Forgot to say that I copy file directly from PC to partition, not from partition1 to partition2..

Wolfz Backup (from PC) to Partition 1, then
Wolfz Backup (from PC) to Partition 2
And still subject to the same issues that can befall a single copy on a single partition.
Physical drive death, virus, accidental formatting, etc, etc....

3-2-1
3 copies, on at least 2 different media, at least 1 off site or otherwise offline.

Solution
This is a good approach for optical media. If you are saving files to a DVD, then it would be a good idea to fill the whole DVD with as many copies of your files as possible, otherwise you are just wasting space. For example, if you wish to save 1000 photos, and your DVD has enough space for 10,000 photos, then save 10 copies of each photo in separate folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS