Copy VHS to DVD on PC?

I have a pretty new/powerful desktop PC with an nvidea geforce mx 440
video card. I have some old VHS home movies that i want to put on dvd,
perhaps even with chapters, etc. I have a dvd burner on the PC, but I
don't think this graphic card has s-video or analog inputs. So how
should I do this? Can I use Dazzle or something through the usb port?
Can someone recommend hardware/software? Running XP pro. TIA

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 22:32:12 -0400, JerryC <jerryc@someisp.com> wrote:
>I have a pretty new/powerful desktop PC with an nvidea geforce mx 440
>video card. I have some old VHS home movies that i want to put on dvd,
>perhaps even with chapters, etc. I have a dvd burner on the PC, but I
>don't think this graphic card has s-video or analog inputs. So how
>should I do this? Can I use Dazzle or something through the usb port?
>Can someone recommend hardware/software? Running XP pro. TIA

Go read the tutorials and reviews at http://www.dvdrhelp.com

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

In article <MPG.1add3239e5cfa16989745
@news.pa.comcast.giganews.com>, jerryc@someisp.com
says...
> I have a pretty new/powerful desktop PC with an nvidea geforce mx 440
> video card. I have some old VHS home movies that i want to put on dvd,
> perhaps even with chapters, etc. I have a dvd burner on the PC, but I
> don't think this graphic card has s-video or analog inputs. So how
> should I do this? Can I use Dazzle or something through the usb port?
> Can someone recommend hardware/software? Running XP pro. TIA

If all you want to do is move the stuff from VHS to DVD,
get a set-top player. You can always record to RW
media, then load it into your computer and re-author to
fixup the menus and write it out to read-only media.
Time required will be 1x for the transfer from VHS to
DVD, and probably another hour to re-author the disc.

OTOH, if you need to do filtering of the source to clean
up tape noise, then you should look at importing using
the Canopus (easy to use, zero audio sync issues) or a
PCI capture card. Time required will be anywhere from
4x to 10x (4-10 hours per hour of source) to get good
results.

Cost is about the same either way, and you can read up
using the guides at www.dvdrhelp.com

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

JerryC <jerryc@someisp.com> wrote:

>I have a pretty new/powerful desktop PC with an nvidea geforce mx 440
>video card. I have some old VHS home movies that i want to put on dvd,
>perhaps even with chapters, etc. I have a dvd burner on the PC, but I
>don't think this graphic card has s-video or analog inputs. So how
>should I do this? Can I use Dazzle or something through the usb port?
>Can someone recommend hardware/software? Running XP pro. TIA

You could get a TV card that has analog input
If you want better quality then get a firewire card and a analog to
digital converter such as the Canopus ADVC-50 or ADVC-100

Regards Brian

Joop

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2002

"Brian" <nospam@anywhere.com> wrote in message
> JerryC <jerryc@someisp.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a pretty new/powerful desktop PC with an nvidea geforce mx 440
> >video card. I have some old VHS home movies that i want to put on dvd,
> >perhaps even with chapters, etc. I have a dvd burner on the PC, but I
> >don't think this graphic card has s-video or analog inputs. So how
> >should I do this? Can I use Dazzle or something through the usb port?
> >Can someone recommend hardware/software? Running XP pro. TIA
>
> You could get a TV card that has analog input
> If you want better quality then get a firewire card and a analog to
> digital converter such as the Canopus ADVC-50 or ADVC-100

A Canopus is very good, I am using an ADVC-100 and it is great. Just a
warning with old VHS tapes. After a lot of experimenting and many failed
tries, I finally managed to get good captures. Two very important issues
are:

1) tape recorder. You need a good quality VHS player to get stable output. I
have a JVC 7600 SVHS deck which plays my old tapes great on TV, but for
capture that is not enough. Dropped frames, freezing pictures etc.

2) TBC, that is a time Base Corrector to make the time synchro pulses
better. I am using an AVT-8710 and that helped tremendously. It's not high
tech but for capturing your normal VHS tapes it does the job.
Also by using the TBS I have reduced the rendering time in TmpGenc from 4
hours+ to 33 minutes for a 25 minute clip.

If you have that in place you can feed it through the ADVC-100 (or -50) and
capture it via the firewire port with WinDV.

You can find more info on capturing and related issues on www.dvdrhelp.com
and www.digitalfaq.com/

Joop

I can understand that having a good quality tape "player"/recorder would be
important to produce good quality output, ie if the starting point isn't
good then what is captured can't be good. But why would it produce dropped
frames? - I would have thought this is more a factor of the capture not the
playing equipment.

I be interested to know.

Cheers
UFO

Two very important issues

"ufo_hk" <ufo_hk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I can understand that having a good quality tape "player"/recorder would
be
> important to produce good quality output, ie if the starting point isn't
> good then what is captured can't be good. But why would it produce dropped
> frames? - I would have thought this is more a factor of the capture not
the
> playing equipment.

When tapes are worn, the sync pulses are often degrading, e.g. not as deep
as they should be. TV's mostly cope with this, perhaps the picture gets a
bit wobbly, but it's watchable. But capture or converter hardware struggle
with it and experience dropped frames: they demand a better quality signal
as the TV for the on-the-fly conversion.
Searching the net with this problem showed that this is a common problem
with old tapes, regardless of the hardware.

Joop

> I be interested to know.
>
> Cheers
> UFO
>

> "Joop" <joop@remove.me.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> Two very important issues
> > are:
> >
> > 1) tape recorder. You need a good quality VHS player to get stable
output.
> > have a JVC 7600 SVHS deck which plays my old tapes great on TV, but for
> > capture that is not enough. Dropped frames, freezing pictures etc.

Great that helps clarifies the issue for me.

Thanks