Copy windows on to USB Flash Drive and run on new PC

matty0105

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
So I've just built my new pc and I need windows. I already have a laptop which I bought last year with windows 7 home premium x64 (The setup was preinstalled, when I booted for the first time, windows setup launched). Could I copy my "windows" folder in my :C drive onto a 32gb flash drive and go onto my new pc, go into the BIOS and boot it from the flash drive? And, if this does work, it is unlikely it will be registered so can I use the product key that's on the bottom of my laptop? Thanks in advance!

Solution
In one word: no. Besides, that copy of Windows is most likely an OEM copy, "married" to the system it's already installed on.

Even if you had a retail license, you'd still have to do a proper install and subsequently activation procedure, you can't migrate Windows like that.
In one word: no. Besides, that copy of Windows is most likely an OEM copy, "married" to the system it's already installed on.

Even if you had a retail license, you'd still have to do a proper install and subsequently activation procedure, you can't migrate Windows like that.

Solution