Copying drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

bathead

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
My XP computer won't stay on, so I need to copy my files from the old drive to the new machine. I have the old drive plugged into the new machine, but I'll be wanting to put it back later to resurrect the old beast. What's the best way to copy all my old files without messing up my 32-bit programs, my XP, et cetera?

Solution
You certainly don’t want to use cloning software. What’s wrong with putting in the hard drive to your new machine either via the IDE or SATA interface or even an external USB converter and using Explorer to copy the files across after first taking ownership of the user directory which is very easy to do in Windows7.
You certainly don’t want to use cloning software. What’s wrong with putting in the hard drive to your new machine either via the IDE or SATA interface or even an external USB converter and using Explorer to copy the files across after first taking ownership of the user directory which is very easy to do in Windows7.

Solution

bathead

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

Actually, I've got that drive plugged in via USB adapter, but I can't seem to find things in there using 7. So, I guess 'what's wrong' is, ah, AFOF. A meatware problem - I was afraid of that.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts