Copying files from a Hard Drive to an external SSD

Mike5525

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
All I want to do is copy about 15 gigs of data from my hard drive (PC) to an external SSD drive (Samsung 850 Pro SSD). I bought a SATA cable/wire with a USB connection on one end, but the PC OS doesn't recognize the external SSD. The cable came with a CD; but I'm thinking the intent of the software on the CD doesn't have anything to do with what I want to use the SSD for. I don't want to clone anything... All I want to do is use the SSD as long-term file storage device.

How do you do that?

Solution
Then you need to right click on the free un-allocated space space and create volume and format the drive. I said this a bit ago but forgive you!

johnmanth

Honorable
Oct 26, 2014
Do not format it unless you are 100% sure that this is the problem (it is very dangerous), try connecting the ssd to a usb port on the backplate, maybe the front-panel usbs are not even connected to the mob

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Why wouldn't the BIOS recognize it over USB? I've never had any issues seeing external, USB HDDs, SSDs or thumb drives in the BIOS.

Mike5525

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

I agree, and I'm not formatting anything until I know what I'm doing here. In the meantime, I did as you suggested, and the OS (Windows 10) still doesn't recognize the SSD.

Mike5525

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
Found "Disk Management" and then found what is described as a 238.35 GB device (ID'd as "Disk 1"), which I suspect is the SSD advertised as a 256 GB SSD (Samsung). Right-clicking on "Disk 1" and selecting Properties results in it being described as a "USB Mass Storage Device," and that it is "working properly."

Mike5525

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

No and no. I don't know what "allocated" means, and I've never formatted anything.

Mike5525

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

Being forgiven is about the best thing that's happened all day.

Ok, I'll see what I come up with here per your instructions. Thanks.
I'll report back either way it goes. Fingers are crossed.

Mike5525

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
Sorry for the delay .... Had an unexpected surgery, believe it or not.
Just a note to thank you all, and tell you the format procedure on the SSD was a snap. Everything worked out just fine.
Special thanks to Reedo_43.

Mike