okay,
What i wanna do is copy all the programs and data from a hard drive that got
screwed up and windows won't boot, to a hard drive that does work. Then on
the screwed up hard drive i want to format, partition it and install windows
on a separate partition so that in the future i only have to format the
partition. THen i wanna bring all the programs and data back. Would that
work? Don't i need to change registry settigns and everything for the
installed programs to work and stuff?

Thanks

Chris

Chris, most of the programs will not work since they have to make
registry entries on your new version of XP. But it's a
good idea to keep your data separate and on a different partition.
Best to look into imaging software such as Ghost or
Drive Image or True Image. So save your data but forget the programs.
Reinstall them. Imaging software makes an exact
image of your working OS and all programs etc then it's saved on a
different drive and when needed can be transferred
back.

"Chrisab508" <Chrisab508@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> okay,
> What i wanna do is copy all the programs and data from a hard drive that
> got
> screwed up and windows won't boot, to a hard drive that does work. Then
> on
> the screwed up hard drive i want to format, partition it and install
> windows
> on a separate partition so that in the future i only have to format the
> partition. THen i wanna bring all the programs and data back. Would that
> work? Don't i need to change registry settigns and everything for the
> installed programs to work and stuff?
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris

So you're saying that if i used a program like ghost to make an image,
there'd really be no point because my current windows installation is very
screwed up and thats what it would copy also? So i should just copy all my
other files?

Thanks

Chris.

Oh wait... Now that i've made a separate partition for windows... does that
mean that I have to install my programs on that partition as well because the
programs have something to do with the registry? I made a separate partition
for windows under the assumption that I could just leave it alone and use the
other one for my programs and documents and so forth..

Chris.

Chris, windows doesnt care where you install other programs. It could
be on any partition. So if you choose to install your programs on say D:
the programs will make the entries in the registry to look for them in D:
But windows has a preference and that is the Program Files folder. You can
move that folder to D: if you want to.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_shell_folders.htm