Question Copying from Vmware workstation to Esxi

Status
Not open for further replies.

enkidoe

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Hello, i am looking for an easy sollution to copy a vm to different esxi machines.

i created a lab environment in my Vmware Workstation(the latest version). I would like to copy the lab to several esxi 6.5 , thr free version, but i dont know how. The vsphere client only allows me to copy a file one by one. By using the webbrowser it allows me to copy a folder, but that takes ages because it is a network copy. Isnt it possible to connect an usbdisk to the machine so i can import from the usb to the Esxi's datastore?

Many thanks for any help/advice.

Somewhere you have a .vmdk file, that is your whole system, you can copy paste this one file to different names and import them into a new VM.
I assume that esxi uses the same format as VMware since it's the same company, if not you would have to find a way to convert that file.

If it's just data files you want to transfer, if you added a USB to the VMware hardware then just plug in a stick while the VM is running and VMware will ask you if you want to connect it to the normal OS or to the VM. I have no idea about esxi.

enkidoe

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Thanks for the reply. I can give it a shot with the vmdk only. The esxi has no other vm's, only an empty datastore. The idea is to copy the vm's through an usbdisk into the datastore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.