Dean

Does any one have knowledge of software that will allow the complete drive
including OS to be copied to a new drive thus allowing the second drive to
be used as the boot drive. WD has one but it can only be used with WD
drives. Neither drive is a WD drive

TIA
Dean

Dean wrote:
> Does any one have knowledge of software that will allow the complete
> drive including OS to be copied to a new drive thus allowing the
> second drive to be used as the boot drive. WD has one but it can only
> be used with WD drives. Neither drive is a WD drive
>
> TIA
> Dean

You not heard of Norton Ghost, then?! You're must be one of about 5 who
haven't! I hate to recommend a Symantec product, but they bought out
PowerQuest and discontinued Drive Image (my image software of choice).
lose his marbles?

Also, most hard drive vendors have their own software that does the same
thing. Check your HD manufacturer's website.

There are a couple other imaging software titles available, but none
with the type of support that Norton Ghost gets.

MTP, you will be happy to know that much of the software behind Drive
Image is supposed to be incorporated into the new version of Ghost. At
least they didn't just buy them out and throw away the technology. I
haven't purchased it yet since I'm waiting to get it free after rebate
like I did with 2003, but I really hope the new version is more like
Drive Image :)

-----
Nathan McNulty

"Nathan McNulty" <newsgroups@msn.com> wrote in message
> Also, most hard drive vendors have their own software that does the same
> thing. Check your HD manufacturer's website.

I have Maxtor's software but that isn't for XP. Seagate works with Seagate
drives only and doesn't seem to work well unless I am too dense to make it
work. WD software works great but only with WD drives.

"Dean" <debnfem@spamverizon.net> wrote in
> Does any one have knowledge of software that will allow the complete drive
> including OS to be copied to a new drive thus allowing the second drive to
> be used as the boot drive. WD has one but it can only be used with WD
> drives. Neither drive is a WD drive
---------------------------
Dean

Partition saving (free) : http://www.partition-saving.com/ can copy hard
drive or partition.

To avoid some traps when you copy XP systems :
http://perso.numericable.fr/~gjullien/copy_xp.htm

Georges Jullien

Try this:
http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/?epi_menuItemID=3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091346068&epi_menuID=976d37cd478c5826433f226075b46068&epi_baseMenuID=976d37cd478c5826433f226075b46068&channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads/ATA%20Hard%20Drives&downloadID=57

-----
Nathan McNulty

Dean wrote:
> "Nathan McNulty" <newsgroups@msn.com> wrote in message
>
>>Also, most hard drive vendors have their own software that does the same
>>thing. Check your HD manufacturer's website.
>>

> I have Maxtor's software but that isn't for XP. Seagate works with Seagate
> drives only and doesn't seem to work well unless I am too dense to make it
> work. WD software works great but only with WD drives.
>

>>There are a couple other imaging software titles available, but none with
>>the type of support that Norton Ghost gets.
>>
>>MTP, you will be happy to know that much of the software behind Drive
>>Image is supposed to be incorporated into the new version of Ghost. At
>>least they didn't just buy them out and throw away the technology. I
>>haven't purchased it yet since I'm waiting to get it free after rebate
>>like I did with 2003, but I really hope the new version is more like Drive
>>Image :)
>>
>>-----
>>Nathan McNulty
>>
>>Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

>>>You not heard of Norton Ghost, then?! You're must be one of about 5 who
>>>haven't! I hate to recommend a Symantec product, but they bought out
>>>PowerQuest and discontinued Drive Image (my image software of choice).

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

install new drive as slave
open a command prompt window, type in :

xcopy32.exe c: d: /r /i /c /h /k /e /y
When it is finished, remove master, install new drive as master. Try booting
with it.