Question Copying problem. Can't summarize properly in the title. Please read details.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I use Windows 7 x64 and am moving from my current 1TB HDD to a new 2TB drive. I've just copied the first 40GB batch of files with TeraCopy. Out of 11045 files in this batch, 42 files were skipped. The skipped files all have names in the 123456~1.*** format, that is, in the old DOS-based format with an 8+3 character limit.

Each of the skipped files is in the same folder as at least one other file with the same first six characters. Example: A folder contains files named
123456789.txt
123456 7abc.txt
123456~1.txt

Of these, the third file is skipped. When I try to manually copy it with Explorer, it says that the file already exists and offers to overwrite, skip or rename the file. When I choose overwrite, it really overwrites the first file although they're different files with different contents.

Many of these problem files are old ones that have gone through several HDD and OS upgrades. I don't remember this ever happening before. One possible solution would be to have Explorer rename them as they are being copied, but I'd really like to understand why the problem is occurring now and not before.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS