[SOLVED] Copying to a new hard drive, how to?

willyj73

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2012
It's been a while since I've posted in this forum. I am mainly a casual PC user with a limited amount of knowledge. I built a PC in 2012 and this forum was helpful. I am currently looking to replace some of the older hard drives in the PC (I already purchased two 2tb Seagate drives from NewEgg). The drive I'm replacing is used for storage and programs (I have programs on it that I don't open frequently in order to save space on my SSD).

It has been a while since I've fooled with anything on my PC, and I can't exactly remember what to do to clone a drive. I think I need to format the new drives in Windows first. I have Clonezilla on a CD. I also have a HD docking station/duplicator (which is made by Connectland). I'm not sure whether I should use Clonezilla or the duplicator. Also, when using Clonezilla, I would guess I would only keep the drives that I'm using connected to the Motherboard? I have a few drives, and some are partitioned, so I might not know which drive is which if I'm just viewing drives labeled as sda, sdb, or whatever name Clonezilla names these drives as. I sort of remember creating a system image with Clonezilla, and then copying that image to a new drive. Would I just create the system image on the new drive using Clonezilla? Is a system image the same thing as a copy (i.e. could I just create the image, then use the drive). The drive that I'm copying is 1tb. I think I would need to increase the partition size on my new 2tb drive after copying, correct? (I'm guessing a copy will only create a 1tb partition?).

I don't know if my specs are listed on this site anymore. I'll do a quick run down: Samsung Evo 850 ssd, 2x8gb DDR3 G.skill sniper, Sapphire Radeon HD7950, Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 mobo, Intel 3570k, Cougar GX1050 psu, Windows 7 64bit Home Edition. I also have this set up as a dual boot with Unbuntu as a 2nd OS (but I rarely use it).

I've been having frequent BSODs, which was one of the main reasons for buying a new drive--hear me out please (I may be off base). I ran MemTest86 and found no errors (I only ran for an hour or two). I did chkdsk on my drives. The one I'm replacing, I had to restart the PC to run. I had originally set it to seek and repair bad sectors. The test froze part of the way during testing. Speccy is currently showing the following information on the drive:
C5 Current Pending Sector Count 2 200 200 0 0000000002 Good
C6 Uncorrectable Sector Count 2 200 200 0 0000000002 Good
C7 UltraDMA CRC Error Count 0 200 200 0 0000000000 Good
C8 Write Error Rate / Multi-Zone Error Rate 3 200 200 0 0000000003 Good

I'm guessing this means the drive has some bad sectors on it, and thought it may be nearing its end of life. I don't know, if the drive is failing, if this is causing the BSODs. Also, if it has bad sectors, I don't know if those bad sectors would copy to the new disk and create the same problems (i.e. I was thinking that, if the drive is failing, it could possibly cause problems when Windows attempts to read/write to certain areas). The BSODs have been occurring for almost a year now. For some reason, Windows lumped all of my backups into one large back up rather than deleting previous back ups. So, I haven't backed up my system for over a year (I didn't want to delete a working image). Those images were made prior to the BSODs. The BSODs seemed to occur after a Windows Update. I did use Windows driver verification tool and I have updated my BIOS. No luck with either.

Sorry for the long winded question. I'm probably causing experienced users to shake their head. Thanks for any help.

Solution
Forget CLoneZilla. Several years ago, it was good. The newer tools are much better.

Assuming the consumed space on your current drive is smaller than the size of the new drives, moving everything is easy.
Just like this:

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes...
All you need to do, to keep it simple, is make a proper CLONE of the drive that you are replacing, then swap them out. You don't need to make a backup image, that is not a clone.

So, attach new hard disk via any means necessary. Sata or Dock, the computer will see it. Format it. Run your cloning software, and clone the hard disk over to the new one. Once it's done, swap the drive out. I don't know what you want to do with the "old drive" do you want to keep it?

In Disk Management, make sure the New Drive has the proper Drive letters, which you can do in Disk Manager (under computer management).

Also, if you run Disk Management first, you can easily see what hard disks are doing what.

willyj73

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2012

Thanks. I'll probably erase the old drive using Dban if the clone is successful. I guess I assign the drive letter to the new drive after I clone it and install it?

"You don't need to make a backup image . . . ."

Nevertheless, it always makes sense to create a backup image of the system drive so you have a rescue plan in place when that drive fails - in that scenario it might be too late to clone it.

Don't give the impression that creating an HDD image is unnecessary.

"....creating an HDD image is unnecessary."
Nice quote context

Maybe you didn't see the question. It was about cloning a hard disk, not about backing it up. If he makes a backup of the disk he won't be cloning it.

USAFRet

Titan
Forget CLoneZilla. Several years ago, it was good. The newer tools are much better.

Assuming the consumed space on your current drive is smaller than the size of the new drives, moving everything is easy.
Just like this:

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the 450MB Recovery Partition, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall

Solution
I always recommend running Hard Disk Sentinel to give you some life expectancy on your hard disks. You can get a 30 day trial for free.

Also a Low Level Format tool, once you have done a successful clone, can help sort out problem areas. (http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/)

willyj73

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2012
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't even thinking, I've been having continual, random BSODs. I haven't pinpointed the root cause yet. If it's a hardware error, perhaps I should use my duplicator. I was able to run chkdsk on the drive I wanted to clone. Chkdsk found no problems (I thought maybe a failing hard drive was causing the BSODs).

USAFRet

Titan

You need to fix the issue before considering any cloning operation.
You may just be moving the problem to a new drive.

willyj73

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2012
Yes, all is OK. Obviously, this was a while ago. I returned here for some other info and saw this old post that I forgot to update. I had to do a lot of questioning on SevenForums. Found some info that helped me to diagnose the blue screen error messages and narrowed it down to the driver for the Asus wireless card. Once I uninstalled the driver, the problems went away (I'm pretty sure this is what happened...it's been 2 years and my memory isn't great anymore).

TRENDING THREADS