Hello,
I have copied some old videos to Dvd attaching a video player to a Dvd
player. The discs play through the dvd player on the Tv, but they will not
play on my computer, is it a different format and if so can I get software
to overcome this. Thank you.

Maybe you used DVD-R when your PC likes DVD+R. Do you have DVD decoding
software on your PC?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Peter Bowers" <peterbowers@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have copied some old videos to Dvd attaching a video player to a Dvd
> player. The discs play through the dvd player on the Tv, but they will not
> play on my computer, is it a different format and if so can I get software
> to overcome this. Thank you.

Hi Cari,
Thank you for your reply.
I am not computer literate, I have used DVD+RW via Norton Ghost 9 to back up
my system and the discs I used to copy the videos was DVD+R. I am afraid I
do not know what DVD decoding software is, or whether I have it or not.
> Maybe you used DVD-R when your PC likes DVD+R. Do you have DVD decoding
> software on your PC?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Peter Bowers" <peterbowers@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>> I have copied some old videos to Dvd attaching a video player to a Dvd
>> player. The discs play through the dvd player on the Tv, but they will
>> not play on my computer, is it a different format and if so can I get
>> software to overcome this. Thank you.

DVD decoding software is needed to play a video DVD (for want of a better
phrase, as opposed to a data DVD which just contains regular PC files and
folders).....

WinDVD (www.intervideo.com) and PowerDVD (www.gocyberlink.com) are the two
most common applications.

Do you have either on your PC?
--

> Hi Cari,
> Thank you for your reply.
> I am not computer literate, I have used DVD+RW via Norton Ghost 9 to back
> up my system and the discs I used to copy the videos was DVD+R. I am
> afraid I do not know what DVD decoding software is, or whether I have it
> or not.
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>> Maybe you used DVD-R when your PC likes DVD+R. Do you have DVD decoding
>> software on your PC?
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "Peter Bowers" <peterbowers@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>> I have copied some old videos to Dvd attaching a video player to a Dvd
>>> player. The discs play through the dvd player on the Tv, but they will
>>> not play on my computer, is it a different format and if so can I get
>>> software to overcome this. Thank you.

Yes I have Cyberlink Power DVD 5 on my computer, but when try to play the
disc a dialogue box appears which says"A disc with an unsupported format in
drive D:"Should I try www intervideo .com

> DVD decoding software is needed to play a video DVD (for want of a better
> phrase, as opposed to a data DVD which just contains regular PC files and
> folders).....
>
> WinDVD (www.intervideo.com) and PowerDVD (www.gocyberlink.com) are the two
> most common applications.
>
> Do you have either on your PC?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Peter Bowers" <peterbowers@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Cari,
>> Thank you for your reply.
>> I am not computer literate, I have used DVD+RW via Norton Ghost 9 to back
>> up my system and the discs I used to copy the videos was DVD+R. I am
>> afraid I do not know what DVD decoding software is, or whether I have it
>> or not.
>> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>>> Maybe you used DVD-R when your PC likes DVD+R. Do you have DVD decoding
>>> software on your PC?
>>> --
>>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>>> Printing & Imaging
>>>

>>> "Peter Bowers" <peterbowers@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

Hmmm, it's not something I've come across before but:
http://www.computerbb.org/about1384.html

and
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22disc+with+an+unsupported+format%22&btnG=Search&hl=en&lr=

You might want to take a look throught some of these and see if someone has
a fix.
--

> Yes I have Cyberlink Power DVD 5 on my computer, but when try to play the
> disc a dialogue box appears which says"A disc with an unsupported format
> in drive D:"Should I try www intervideo .com
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>> DVD decoding software is needed to play a video DVD (for want of a better
>> phrase, as opposed to a data DVD which just contains regular PC files and
>> folders).....
>>
>> WinDVD (www.intervideo.com) and PowerDVD (www.gocyberlink.com) are the
>> two most common applications.
>>
>> Do you have either on your PC?
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "Peter Bowers" <peterbowers@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Cari,
>>> Thank you for your reply.
>>> I am not computer literate, I have used DVD+RW via Norton Ghost 9 to
>>> back up my system and the discs I used to copy the videos was DVD+R. I
>>> am afraid I do not know what DVD decoding software is, or whether I have
>>> it or not.
>>> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message

Thanks a lot for your help, I have been looking at the sites you indicated,
there is such a lot of info. there that it is going to take some time to
hopefully find a solution, but here goes!!
> Hmmm, it's not something I've come across before but:
> http://www.computerbb.org/about1384.html
>
> and
> http://www.google.com/search?q=%22disc+with+an+unsupported+format%22&btnG=Search&hl=en&lr=
>
> You might want to take a look throught some of these and see if someone
> has a fix.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Peter Bowers" <peterbowers@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> Yes I have Cyberlink Power DVD 5 on my computer, but when try to play the
>> disc a dialogue box appears which says"A disc with an unsupported format
>> in drive D:"Should I try www intervideo .com
>>

>> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>>> DVD decoding software is needed to play a video DVD (for want of a
>>> better phrase, as opposed to a data DVD which just contains regular PC
>>> files and folders).....
>>>
>>> WinDVD (www.intervideo.com) and PowerDVD (www.gocyberlink.com) are the
>>> two most common applications.
>>>
>>> Do you have either on your PC?
>>> --
>>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>>> Printing & Imaging
>>>

>>> "Peter Bowers" <peterbowers@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

HarrY

My problem is opposite to Peter's.

I am using Movie Maker to capture DV to AVI file and then DVDSanta to
prepare VIDEO and AUDIO folders for making DVD. DVD-R i used to burn the
home video, it plays fine on computer via Power DVD or Media Player. While
playing at home DVD player, no audio heard all the way through the DVD.

What is causing this problem? With only a few AVI files, HD is filled up
totally, DV tape piled up quickly. Need a solution quick!

Thanks for any input.