snellizback

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
I'm about to receive a brand new ssd which will be used to boot my pc (as well as hold a game or two) and I was wondering if there is an easy way to keep my current settings (startup things, documents and settings location etc.). I thought backing up my entire registry and then using that on a fresh install might work, but I'm not willing to risk it on a hunch.

I'll be going from windows7 home premium x64 to the exact same version with same serial key.
Thanks.

Posted from my phone, sorry for any errors.

Solution
A fresh clean install of Microsoft Windows 7 is the preferred method.

Whether you do a clean install or clone you'll have to change a few settings in your motherboard's system BIOS and in Windows 7 for optimal performance.

l0ckd0wn

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011

I would use a tool for cloning like was stated here. There are many options available from the likes of Symantec, Acronis, Apricorn and others. I would make sure to clone the entire disk, including MBR.

quesionboy

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

To clone the system partition to SSD, you could use some partition software to do this, here is an example about "how to clone partition from one hard disk to another in Windows 7". Hope this could help you.

ram1009

Distinguished
I just cloned a 256GB M4 from a 750GB HDD running XP Pro sp3. I was told I would have problems with "alignment" because I was running XP. I used a transfer kit purchased on Newegg ($20) made by a company called Apricorn. It worked perfectly and didn't seem to care about XP. There was a checkbox in one of the setup screens for alignment. It's only been a few days but so far the outcome has been perfect although I'm not as amazed as most seem to be at the speed increases. Previous to cloning I did partition and format the M4 using the Windows disk management facility. I believe the $20 was well spent.