Question Core 1 of 6700k idling at 50°, 100° under load

amudie

Reputable
Mar 22, 2019
Recently installed motherboard w/ cpu into my build, ran fine upon first boot, but after an hour of setup I decided to check temps/benchmark it, only to find that under load core 1 was up to ~35° hotter than every other, bringing up overall cpu temp in HWinfo. In the Bios, idles at 50°, and after locking voltage to 1.25v, 40°, with a maximum heat of 80° under load, but still with a large difference between cores. I've reapplied thermal paste and reseated aio to no avail. Also tried my old Cryorig H7 with similar results. Temps don't seem to be particularly stable either, spiking even on desktop. Wondering if the temp sensors are gone or some other issue. I've also tried plugging pump into different chassis fan headers on motherboard with no difference. Any help would be appreciated :)

Prior to this mobo and cpu, I was running an i7-2600 with the AIO with no issues.

SPECS:
i7-6700k (no oc)
asrock z270 pro4
2x8g vengeance lpx
RX580 8g (no oc)
970 evo
3 intake fans
2 exhaust (including aio radiator)
ML120L v2 aio

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/52725784

It is not unusual to see a difference in temperatures since the components are located is different parts of the die. But, a 35c. difference is just too much.
I suspect that the pump assembly was not installed well. Unless you tighten one down gradually in a criss-cross manner it is easy to not get it level.
Try remounting carefully.
Clean off the old paste and apply new.
Do not use too much paste.

I might add that aio coolers do not last forever.
In time, air intrudes or the pump fails.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022
Recently installed motherboard w/ cpu into my build, ran fine upon first boot, but after an hour of setup I decided to check temps/benchmark it, only to find that under load core 1 was up to ~35° hotter than every other, bringing up overall cpu temp in HWinfo. In the Bios, idles at 50°, and after locking voltage to 1.25v, 40°, with a maximum heat of 80° under load, but still with a large difference between cores. I've reapplied thermal paste and reseated aio to no avail. Also tried my old Cryorig H7 with similar results. Temps don't seem to be particularly stable either, spiking even on desktop. Wondering if the temp sensors are gone or some other issue. I've also tried plugging pump into different chassis fan headers on motherboard with no difference. Any help would be appreciated :)

Prior to this mobo and cpu, I was running an i7-2600 with the AIO with no issues.

SPECS:
i7-6700k (no oc)
asrock z270 pro4
2x8g vengeance lpx
RX580 8g (no oc)
970 evo
3 intake fans
2 exhaust (including aio radiator)
ML120L v2 aio

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/52725784

Google "Throttlestop Undervolt - Speedshift"

Select speedshift 8-42 and you'll see your idle temp drop to 28-32 and under 100% load go to 60.

Thank me later!

TRENDING THREADS