Core 2 duo CPU running too hot?

cephas182

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm new to the community and am really stuck on this temperature issue with my CPU.

This is my setup:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz , 1066 FSB, LGA 775, 4 MB Cache
ASUS P5B Deluxe P965 ATX motherboard
XFX GX260NADFF GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0
COOLER MASTER UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Power Supply
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
COOLER MASTER Hyper Z600 RR-600-LBU1-GP CPU Cooler

The case alone should be keeping this sucker cool. I got a really nice Heatsink/Fan in the Coolermaster Hyper cooler too that should be doing great. I can't figure out what is wrong.

I even installed the optional 120mm on the heatsink to add to the cooling. The only thing I can think of that might possible be wrong is that the fan on the heat sink is pretty close to the big case fan in the back. Should I point the heatsink fan the other way into the case?

Oh and another thing, I used the Cooler Master thermal compound included with the heatsink and put a thin layer on the CPU chip to fully cover it. Did I put too much or not enough?

Any help is greatly appreciated thanks!

Really? How did you figure that out?
At idle and low fan speed that CM Hyper Z600 should be keeping your CPU temps in the upper 30s.

How does the air flow (which direction) on the cooler fan?

How much of the Cooler Master thermal compound did you use?

cephas182

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
I was being sarcastic about the case relax :)

its flowing out away from the heatsink.

and i put a dab of the compound in the middle of the chip and spread outward to the corners to fully cover it. i dont know how to be any more specific than that, I didnt glob it on

The only way to know for sure if you used too much / not enough thermal compound would be to test with more... and with less... thermal compound and compare the results.
The most typical error is to use too much. But I don't think would account for the high idle temps you currently have.
What were the under-load temps?

Core Temp and OCCT for testing under load.

If Core Temp also reports ~58C while idle you can probably rule out an incorrect BIOS temp reading.

If your fan is setup correctly, and if you used the right amount of thermal compound, then it might be that the HS isnt mounted correctly.