Core 2 Duo E7500 Virtualization Technology

chinoroy

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
hi guys. just wanna ask if i can run a virtual machine application in my current processor. some peaople are saying that the E7500 doesn't support the Virtualization Technology aka VT-x. but after checking my processor under CPUID CPU-Z, the instructions i have in there are (MMX, SSE (1, 2, 3, 3S, 4.1), EM64T, VT-x.

the VT-x is there. so does that mean i can run virtual machine softwares?

thanks.

Solution
Chinoroy,
There in this case there are 2 ways that we can find out? If it was part of a retail boxed processor then it is a SLGTE. This is the easy answer. On the other hand if it is an OEM build system it is could be the SLGTE or SLB9Z. So then that leads us to the hard answer is to open up the computer, removed the heatsink and then clean off the thermal paste and look on processor. On the top of the CPU will be the sSpec#. I love CPU-Z as a tool but it has been known to make some small errors so I would personally try to look into it a little closer.

PudgyChicken, thank you for the advice I should have paid a little bit more attention to the 2 sSpec # I was put up. There is only 2 sSpec # on this processor the SLGTE and the SLBTE...
First of a little information, if Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E7500 processor that you have is has a sSpec# of SLGTE or SLB9Z then it doesn’t have VT-x support. On the other hand if it is SLGTE then the processor will VT-x support. The SLGTE was the only one of the E7500’s that were offered as a boxed product (retail package). The documentation for this can be found at under ORDERING/ SSPEC/ STEPPING at http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=36503#ordering.

So if you have the SLGTE you can run virtual machine software.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

chinoroy

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

hi. how would i know if i have the SLGTE one?

cpus.png

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
@IntelEnthusiast

I like how you said if the processor had sSpec# of SLGTE or SLB9Z then it doesn't have VT-x support, but then you went on to say that the SLGTE one DOES support VT-x... Proofreading never killed anybody.

Chinoroy,
There in this case there are 2 ways that we can find out? If it was part of a retail boxed processor then it is a SLGTE. This is the easy answer. On the other hand if it is an OEM build system it is could be the SLGTE or SLB9Z. So then that leads us to the hard answer is to open up the computer, removed the heatsink and then clean off the thermal paste and look on processor. On the top of the CPU will be the sSpec#. I love CPU-Z as a tool but it has been known to make some small errors so I would personally try to look into it a little closer.

PudgyChicken, thank you for the advice I should have paid a little bit more attention to the 2 sSpec # I was put up. There is only 2 sSpec # on this processor the SLGTE and the SLBTE. In trying to answer the question I didn’t pay close enough attention to ensure that sSpec # weren’t different. So to make this clear if you have an sSpec # of SLGTE you have VT-x on your processor, if you have a SLB9Z you do not.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Solution

chinoroy

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
hey guys thanks for the replies. i bought my computer parts by parts so i have the boxed version of my processor. i checked the processor's box and it said that i have the SLGTE S-spec and the box itself has a text that say's Intel(R) VT. thanks guys! i can now run Windows XP & Mac OSX on my Windows 7. hehe!

Last Question:
do you guys think that running a virtual machine is better than an actual dual-boot?

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Virtual machines don't perform very well on a dual core processor. Both the Intel Q9400 Core 2 CPU and the Core i5 460M processors easily outperform any dual core Core 2 processor. I realize that the Core i5 I mentioned is a dual core processor, but with hyperthreading it performs more like a true quad core.

TRENDING THREADS