Core 2 duo overclocking

WacoTaco

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2006
I have overclocked my core 2 duo e6600 with AI booster which is a program that came with my motherboard.

But i went from 2.4 to 2.88 and i dont see any diffrence so far.But i overclocked it because in the bios it sayes 2.88 and blah blah.Sometimes my temps go crazy to when i load sometime it gets 45C and sometimes it drops to 37C but the AUX temps go to 123C.

Tell me if i did something wrong.Also i overclocked my 7600gt from core clock 580mhz and memory clock 750mhz to core clock 602 and memory clock 774mhz.Is that normal for 7600gt?

Did i do something wrong?

wolfman140

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
#1) Wtf I have no idea what you're saying about your cpu overclock. "and blah blah blah..." seems like important details. Please -re-phrase your explanation of what you did and what you are asking because I don't even understand the post.

#2) Your video card overclock is next to nothing. It's a very small overclock, it is able to go much further than that. Just keep an eye on the temp and make sure it doesn't go over 75-80 degrees C.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I'm very confused too... what exactly is your AUX temp... your chipset? Either way 123C is highly improbably otherwise you'll see smoke coming out of your case... remember, what temperature does water start boiling at?

Explain more, post specs...

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
No offense, but if you don't know what the h3ll you're doing, then you probably shouldn't be doing it! Sounds to me, you don't know how to overclock. It's always better to overclock yourself rather than let some stupid AI do it for you! :wink: Hopefully, you didn't blow the heart of your comptuer out! Considering, they've only been out for a month! If you did, let me know and I'll personally make you a special reward!

Sorry, for the fuming, but some people really question me on how we humans have survived thus far!

00h00m

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
You did a 20% AI overclock it appears and your temps look fine. The 123C temp reading is probably a misread. You should try other programs to monitor the temp and see if they agree, try ProbeII from ASUS and Core Temp.

You would be better off setting the overclocking parameters yourself, but since it seems that you are not sure what to do... you are actually better off leaving it as is. If you have the time play with some parameters, but do some research first on what they do. Voltage changes in the ASUS bios will go from white text (normal) to pink text (slightly risky) to red text (mild to extremely dangerous) as you increase them. I have a similar setup as yours and I run at 3.0GHz on air cooling with slightly elevated voltages, I have not pushed it much farther, but I know there is more room to go in the OC.

Good luck.

WacoTaco

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2006
ok i quit that ai booster thing and i went to the BIOS.

Went to ADVANCED then to JumperFree config and then the only thing i changed is the Cpu frequency and everything else is auto.My stock cpu frequency was 266 and i changed it to 330.Right now i got 2.97ghz.My temps are normal and system is stable.I didnt change vcore or ram frequency everything is at auto.My vcore is 1.29.

I opened sandra and i got like 4 thousand diffrence is some cpu benchamrks.

And i dont want to overclock the gpu so much because it is allready overclocked by EVGA.I have the 7600gt co version.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Ok, WacoTaco, which mobo are you using? Obviously ASUS, but let me give you a word of advice: AI NOS and AI Booster are both crap, don't ever use them. I'm amazed you even got it to work.

Now, using the JumperFree options in BIOS is the way to go, so good on you for figuring that out. The frequency you changed isn't the CPU frequency, it's your FSB frequency. Multiply that by 4 and you have the speed of your FSB. So right now you're running a 1320Mhz FSB. Multiply the first number by your CPU's multiplier (In this case 9) and you get the CPU frequency. Making sense?

You're off to a good start, so ignore the people on the forum ragging on you. But honestly you should proceed slowly and with caution when overclocking, unless of course you have a hundred-dollar bill tree growing in your backyard. The ASUS forums are pretty lively, go to the one for your motherboard and you'll likely find a ton of useful information. Check there, then check the Core 2 OCing guide in this forum if you have more questions.

Finally, in order for this overclock to be considered a success, you need to stress your system. Use prime95 or a similar program. This will push it to the limits and find instabilities in your rig. Let it run for around 10 minutes and watch your temps. When you're sure they're not going to boil your mobo, leave and let the program run overnight. If it's still running the next day: SUCCESS!

Hope this helps! And as a final note, it's helpful to helpers if you post your computers specs. Good luck.

WacoTaco

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2006
Mobo:Asus p5w deluxe
Ram:ddr800 xms2
Harddrive:Raptor 150gb
Fan:Zalman s9500

ok but i still overclocked right?I used Burnintest program and did prime95 for about 2 hours so far.Temps dont get more then 53C.

It sayes 2.97ghz.When i wanted to go 3.11 with ai booster my pc didnt want to boot so i just left it at 2.97 and dont want to go more.But i dont see any performance boost from this overclocking.

And i should only run one prime95 because it doesint use my cpu 100%.And which option should i choose in the torture test?

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Mobo:Asus p5w deluxe
Ram:ddr800 xms2
Harddrive:Raptor 150gb
Fan:Zalman s9500

ok but i still overclocked right?I used Burnintest program and did prime95 for about 2 hours so far.Temps dont get more then 53C.

It sayes 2.97ghz.When i wanted to go 3.11 with ai booster my pc didnt want to boot so i just left it at 2.97 and dont want to go more.But i dont see any performance boost from this overclocking.

And i should only run one prime95 because it doesint use my cpu 100%.And which option should i choose in the torture test?

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Core2Duo-Overclocking-Guide-ftopict197995.html

READ DAS STICKIES

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Ok, yes, the guy in the OC guide did do a lot more than you. But there's a method to his madness. He's setting up his mobo for a massive overclock. Your motherboard is capable of running your processor at 4Ghz. To get it there and to get it stable you have to change more than just your freq.

53C is pretty high, not bad though. You can probably squeeze a bit more OC out of your proc. Go get yourself a better cooler though, and some artic 5, you won't be sorry. Then follow the guide. If you have specific questions about it, post, and someone will help you out.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
the thing is that i have the best cooler ZALMAN S9500 and i have artic silver 5.I dont know what is wrong with my temps.

Read the sticky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It quite clearly shows that the 9500 is NOT the best cooler in the world.

READ DAS STICKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
the thing is that i have the best cooler ZALMAN S9500 and i have artic silver 5.I dont know what is wrong with my temps.

Read the sticky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It quite clearly shows that the 9500 is NOT the best cooler in the world.

I just don't believe it..... Wusy does a step by step idiots guide on how to overclock a C2D and this guy flatly refuses to read it. Shocking......

WacoTaco

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2006
i am asking for help you give me some bulshit.I dont know how to overclock good but so what.Thats why i am asking you guy.I did what i knew and i want to see if evrything is allright.And i read the whole sticky.Its just on many tests the zalman really performs good so i said i have a pretty good cooling.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Sad thing is, I run them all off of one laptop... I have 6 external enclosures and 2 USB hubs with a PCMCIAII USB expansion card...

Seems totally normal to me. I'm reconfiguring my video editing machine, adding two more 400GBs to it and shopping 500GB drives because when I finally get around to building a C2D, I'm planning to have eight 500s on a RAID10. 4TB of redundant, fast, storage bliss. I'll sleep better once it's up and running.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006

Is there a single best cooler? Regardless, the 9500 should not be challenged on his CPU at the reported clock. Not in the least.

That's always good advice. Do your homework, then ask for help. Simple as dat.

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Doughboy you make me sick with all that HDD storage. SICK YOU HEAR ME! :D I never have even filled up 1 of my two 74g HHDs.

Offtopic sorry but my old desktop had ..6 Tb and that was 3 years ago 120gbx5
I'm dying on my laptop with only 60.
Videos/music will swamp a HDD quickly.
Oh and games.
If your a massive gamer you're looking at 1gb-6 per game.
Plus programs if your multimedia.
Adobe suite+macromedia etc etc.

the 123 temp is wrong.
I'm guessing that's your case temp from a random fan or something?
better case airflow perhaps needed but still don't get the Q.

Also if your not getting a boost in performance I havea few words of wisdom revolving around mebe the cpu isn't your bottleneck.

The chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.
Team is only as good as weakest player.
Windows security is only as good as the group of 20 million virus writers.
Your comp is only as good as it's bottleneck.
And I'm only as smart as sleep allows zzzzzzzz.

WacoTaco

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2006
well i showed you my system spec so i dont think anything in my system is bottlenecking me.I did get better results when running sisoft sandra.