Core 2 Duo & SLI

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
I have seen many motherboards with chipset nForce 590 SLI for socket AM2, but for some reason i couldn't find pretty much any motherboards that support both Core 2 Duos and SLI.
Since this dosent make sence, since to run SLI u would need a good CPU and there is no way that ppl only buy from AMD now that Core 2 Duo is out, the only thing that could make sence is that its quite new and dosent have much support, but not having any SLI motherboards for Core 2 Duo would probably make many ppl turn to AMD, right? I mean its like launching Vista without DX10 cards, id prefer to use XP.

So, does anyone know of any Core 2 Duo (LGA 775, 1066Mhz FSB) and SLI motherboards?

Thnx.

I have seen many motherboards with chipset nForce 590 SLI for socket AM2, but for some reason i couldn't find pretty much any motherboards that support both Core 2 Duos and SLI.
Since this dosent make sence, since to run SLI u would need a good CPU and there is no way that ppl only buy from AMD now that Core 2 Duo is out, the only thing that could make sence is that its quite new and dosent have much support, but not having any SLI motherboards for Core 2 Duo would probably make many ppl turn to AMD, right? I mean its like launching Vista without DX10 cards, id prefer to use XP.

So, does anyone know of any Core 2 Duo (LGA 775, 1066Mhz FSB) and SLI motherboards?

Thnx.

Building this currently. This is the ONLY C2D SLI board period. For now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131031

deathbybubba

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006

Thnx.

Actually that's not true, there are 570 boards out for conroe

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2010200280+107171095+1071723177&Subcategory=280&description=&srchInDesc=

deathbybubba

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
I saw a place pre-selling 590 Intel boards. They had a delivery date of the end of this month.
whree, I'm sick of these 250+ dollar intel chipset boards. If I can get a 570 board for 100 bucks I should be able to get a 590 for around 150.

illinikevin

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
The only thing the 590 adds over the 570 is x16 sli and I don't think it helps that much. The 590's usually have wifi and more sata but it dosn't justify the added cost. If the 570 was available when I built my machine I would have gone that route. I agree anything over $150 for a home pc mainboard is outrageous.

Asus P5N32-SLI SE

In a few hours I will temporarily install my x1800xt and a power supply and fire up my e6600 and P5N32-SLI-SE Will switch to dual 7800gt's later if I get it to boot. I worked on it last night. Got the Zalman 9500 on the board installed in the case. I'm worried about the OCZ PC5400 Gold DDR2 667 mhz. 512 x 4 I have. I hope it boots with it. I'm not a big overclocker, but I plan on getting some PC6400 probally Corsair later when prices subside.

deathbybubba

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006

Thnx.

Actually that's not true, there are 570 boards out for conroe

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2010200280+107171095+1071723177&Subcategory=280&description=&srchInDesc=

Actually it is true. Nforce570 sli does not support dual X16 Pci-e.
I dont care what neweggs website says, its wrong!!Is 8x sli, sli? Why yes it is. Who cares if sli on th 570 is 8x on each card, you won't notice the difference in lanes on the dual 16x boards.

LOL! I just realized you upgraded from the Pentium D 805 too! haha! I took my parts from my 805 D build and bought the P5N32-SLI PE and an e6600 and hope to have it loaded up by tomorrow.

Hey, 2.7 looks good here. I'll have a tougher time with 4 x 512 trying to get to that plateau. At 2.7 you beat the snot out of the rig in my sig. I can't wait to see how this 2.4 e6600 does compared to my 2.4 4800x2. I run pinnacle studio 9 and burn a lot of DVD's from VHS from time to time. That's the reason I bought the 4800x2. I have scoured the net trying to find if the P5n32-SLI PE will boot with my OCZ 5400 512. I think it will. Fingers crossed. If so I'll be up and running tonight.

cleeve

Illustrious
Actually it is true. Nforce570 sli does not support dual X16 Pci-e.
I dont care what neweggs website says, its wrong!!

What is with your obsession with dissing two PCIe x8 ports vs. two x16 ports?

Look up some benches. IT MAKES NO TANGIBLE PERFORMANCE DIFFERENCE.

moparman390

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
For some reason the two boards with the 570 only support up to DDR2-667 where as the 590 board supports DDR2-800. Maybe the added cost in that ASUS 590 board is comming from the fact it supports DDR2-800 and not so much from the full 16X SLI.

illinikevin

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
Oh yea I forgot about that. But the last nforce4 board (P5ND2-SLI) only supported DDR2-667 and This board with the same chipset supports DDR2-800. I think it's up to how the manufacture designs the board.

GO BEARS!!!!

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Alright, so should i get the nForce 4 or nForce 570 SLI?

And also, will i be able to use crossfire (ATI cards) on this motherboard when DX10 ATI come out, or will i need a Xfire motherboard?

deathbybubba

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
Alright, so should i get the nForce 4 or nForce 570 SLI?

And also, will i be able to use crossfire (ATI cards) on this motherboard when DX10 ATI come out, or will i need a Xfire motherboard?
I would go with the newer board, plus it's 100 bucks cheaper then n4 board. As for using ati in an nvidia chipset, I think that should answer your question right there.

cleeve

Illustrious
As for using ati in an nvidia chipset, I think that should answer your question right there.

You don't know what you're talking about, sir.

Nvidia GPUs work great with Ati chipsets, and vice versa.

If you disagree with that, please provide evidence of your claim...

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
As for using ati in an nvidia chipset, I think that should answer your question right there.

If you disagree with that, please provide evidence of your claim...

How can u run an ATI card on an Nvidia chipset SLI motherboard?

Are u serious? I can run my X2900XT CrossFire on an nForce 570 SLI/ nForce 4 board?

deathbybubba

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006

If you disagree with that, please provide evidence of your claim...yes, you can run a single card ati in a nvidia chipset, but you can not run xfire on a nvidia board, and that is what he was asking

cleeve

Illustrious
I was referring to single card operation.

As far as SLI/Xfire, I thought it was pretty easy to hack Xfire to get it to work on Nforce chipsets, no?

Nvidia cards can use hacks too, but I understand they're it's little more involved.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
I was referring to single card operation.

As far as SLI/Xfire, I thought it was pretty easy to hack Xfire to get it to work on Nforce chipsets, no?

Nvidia cards can use hacks too, but I understand they're it's little more involved.

Ok wait, so i can run 2 Nvidia cards but only 1 ATI card, on an Nvidia chipset motherboard?

cleeve

Illustrious
You can run one card of any type on any chipset.

Two Nvidia cards can run on SLI motherboards. I've heard of hacks getting SLI to work on other chipsets, too.

Two crossfire cards can run on Ati and some Intel dual GPU motherboards, but I was wrong about Nforce. It's been talked about but I cant find hard evidence of it working.

deathbybubba, so0rry for responding harshly. My mistake.