Core 2 Duo Stress Test? Inadequate Power Supplies?

Ratsneve

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I just finished my Core 2 Duo E6300 build with 2 GB RAM and an ATI X 1900 XTX and have a couple questions... How do I stress test the system to determine both cores are working well? Prime 95 won't test both cores. Is there something better to use now for Dual Cores?

In a loaded system ATI recommends a 450 watt supply for my non-crossfire system. I got a 600 watt supply...yet a friend keeps thinking that even 600 watts from what he has read but hasn't quoted won't be adequate after playing Oblivion 20 hours straight (for instance). I find this hard--true or not?

I think I will have to call both Intel and ATI on these points too but I hope the community at large can help too.

Thank you.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
600 watts is going to be plenty - even if you overclocked like crazy. You should give FULL system specs, though, to make a more precise judgement. For your case, only if the PSU had bad amperage across its rails would it not be sufficent. You've got enough extra wattage for some future upgrades (with the exception of the forthcoming DX10 cards which are rumored to have energy demands as high as 300 watts).

Specifically, what PSU do you have? It would be easier to make an assessment of it if you listed it.

deviantdave

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
600W is NOT necessarily enough, you need to check the Ampere ratings on the 12 V Rails. What kind of PSU is it? Make Model etc... Check how many 12 V Rails you have and what the Amp ratings are. That is more important than sheer watts.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
My system has a high energy demand on it because of everything I've got in it. I estimate that I require just over 600 watts (closer to 625).

As I said before, from the looks of things (and without knowing what your system specs are) you, most likely, have plenty of wattage to spare but it's the amperage that we need to see.

My System (Powered by a Silverstone SST-ST75ZF 750 PSU)

CoolerMaster Stacker Case
Presler 955 3.46
Abit AW8D
2GB DDR2 800
XFX 7900 GTX Extreme
2 Raptors HDDs
320 WD Sata HDD
Creative XFI Fatality (with drive bay unit)
(2) 120mm LED Fans
(4) 40mm fans (modded Abit Voltage regulator heatsinks)
(2) DVD R/RW Drives
56-1 card reader
floppy drive
Dual cold cathode light
(assorted USB devices)

Watercooling System
1/2 ID inch tygon tubing (11/16 OD R3603)
Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Danger Den Koolsah GPU Waterblock
Voltage Regulator waterblock for 7900 GTX
Maze 4 Northbridge Waterblock
Custom Drivebay Reservoir
Swiftech Peltier 226watt waterblock
Bay drive voltage adjuster for CPU Peltier Waterblock
(2) dual 120mm rads (mounted externally) - each has 4 120mm fans in a "push-pull" configuration
Meanwell 600 SE12 Secondary PSU (for peltier)

Ratsneve

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
600 watts is going to be plenty - even if you overclocked like crazy. You should give FULL system specs, though, to make a more precise judgement. For your case, only if the PSU had bad amperage across its rails would it not be sufficent. You've got enough extra wattage for some future upgrades (with the exception of the forthcoming DX10 cards which are rumored to have energy demands as high as 300 watts).
Sorry about that--to late at night--lucky I finished posting. It is a FSP Group 9PA6000302 with 4 +12V rails each rated 15A for a total of 60A. (Other rails with other voltages of course.)

This may be why I posted the question because the 1900 XTX because its (none DX10) energy demand is 30A on 12V rails or 360 watts therefore already exceeding the possible future DX10 projected rating? Or did you mean an additional 300 watts which allowing 100 watts for a loaded system would require a bare minimum of 760 watts then but not now?

Thank you.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Word is that some DX10 cards (from both major companies) could have power demands of 300 watts. I have an FSP 700 that I use to use with my system but kept having issues between it and my 7900 GTX. My video would inadvertently drop out and my monitor would go blank - as if it was getting no signal. This would occur periodically but, more often when I was playing a game. XFX told me it was because of the weak amperage across the 12v rails (only 15amps per) so I bought the Silverstone 750 and haven't had any trouble since. the 1900XTX has a typical wattage demand of around 130 watts (not overclocked). The whole 30amp issue is what the manufacturers recommend as the minimal output of the PSU (for the entire system) - not just strictly for the card itself.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Sorry about that--to late at night--lucky I finished posting. It is a FSP Group 9PA6000302 with 4 +12V rails each rated 15A for a total of 60A. (Other rails with other voltages of course.)

This may be why I posted the question because the 1900 XTX because its (none DX10) energy demand is 30A on 12V rails or 360 watts therefore already exceeding the possible future DX10 projected rating? Or did you mean an additional 300 watts which allowing 100 watts for a loaded system would require a bare minimum of 760 watts then but not now?

Thank you.

that FSP is overkill at this point even, so don't worry, you'll be fine and maybe even prepared for dx10 cards

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I doubt graphics cards will still continue the crazy trend of taking more wattage. Especially with how hot those cards are running these days, they will be forced to have more energy efficent solutions... (Dual Core GPU's anyone?)

If they do continue the power trend, other components will be able to take some of the brunt, since processors are working on being more energy effective... shrug.

Either way, I'm just hoping we don't need more power. 14c a kWh is pretty much killing me, especially with how much my A/C takes. Think I'm up to $500 a month for electricity...