Core 2 E6400 + Zalman CNPS7700-Cu = MB?

timmah1980

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Hi there,

First-time poster looking at upgrading my system.

I have virtually decided upon the Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 processor. I'd also like to use with it the Zalman CNPS7700-Cu heatsink/cooler, although I need a motherboard that is compatible with them both. Any suggestions?

I had been looking at the Asus P5B Deluxe - not sure if this supports the Zalman cooler though, as it's not on the list of compatible motherboards.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

NUFC987

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
ill look into it, however keep in mind that 9700's are HUGE and another concern is whether it will fit in your case too.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
well firdtly I LOVE THAT COOLER seriously, it so simple and cools along side a freezer pro and then only cost £35 while looking damm cool.

anyhow i wouldnt go with your current choice of MB, this is for 2 reasons

firstly, are you going to grade the CPU0 in the near future? or do you always replcae the MB and CPU at the same time. If you are going to upgrade CPU every year or so i would reccomend INTELS new P35 chipset (bearlake i believe), this will alow you to upgrade to the penryn core C2D when they arrive (think ahead!!). However if you took this root make sure you get a DDR2 version unless you intend to replace your RAM. If this is the case go for a Gigabyte GA P35-DS3P.

Now if you dont intend to upgrade for a while, ie 2 years and more, then you will proberly in the market for a P965 chips, now unlike your choice, everyone around here (including myself) will recommend the gigabyte DS3 (or 4 but it's not worth the extra cash), this is because its dirt (ish) cheap has all the modern features but most importantly have Solid capacitor which allow it to be a phernomimal OC'er and a long last reliable MB aswell.

i hope this helps

timmah1980

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Great - thanks for the response.

I don't upgrade every year - my current system is an Athlon XP2400, with 1.5GB RAM, which I've had for 2-3 years now I guess. Neither do I play the latest games, or have a need to play things at full settings - just something that looks good will do me.

The main reason for considering the upgrading is that I'm using my PC more and more for working on a number of things at once - i.e. Dreamweaver and Fireworks, or Photoshop and InDesign - so the ability to run several programs at once without the system slowing too much would be the goal.

I anticipate that an upgrade to an Intel Core 2 Duo E6400/E6600 (with 2GB RAM) will be quite a noticeable leap forward, which should keep me happy for a good few years. So...I imagine the DS3 would be fine for my needs.

Those two motherboards you recommended - are they both definitely compatible (and large enough) to accommodate the Zalman cpu cooler?

Just checked them on Overclockers.co.uk and the DS3 is about £30 cheaper than the other - would the other one be worth going for, considering its not that much more in price? Would this be an acceptable corner to cut, or is the P35-DS3P *that* much of a better board?

Thanks again,
Tim

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
yes the DS3 is really spectactular and will suit your non upgrading need as will last ages beacuse of its solid capacitors, and when your system start to age you can OC well too.

I think the DS3 will take a big cooler like 7700, however if you have no real desire to overclock you should be fine with the same design, but samller CNPS 7500 cu.

however as a final not, the Zalman cooler come with a speed controller, however C2D have a in built fan speed changing unit so i would bi pass the 'Fanmate' and let the Chip do the work

good luck!!!

timmah1980

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
I think I'll go with the DS3 then.

Does the 7500 just have a smaller heatsink, or does it use a 80mm fan? The 7700 was very appealing due to the low noise 120mm fan - my current PC is rather noisy, and most of this is down to the cpu fan, so my rebuild would need to be as quiet as possible.

Also, would bypassing the 'Fanmate' definitely be the best way to go then? As I said, one priority would be keeping the noise levels down and the Zalman is advertised as "zero noise when in silent mode, using Fanmate".

Thanks again for the advice.