Question Core 2 quad causing bottleneck to my GPU?

Microsoft Changes

Reputable
Dec 28, 2019
I have a core 2 quad system in my room, Yesterday i upgraded the Sytem from q6600 to q9400 and I also upgraded the GPU to Radeon 6600 XT.

After installed all of the components i noticed a huge FPS increase in older games but on newer games e.g Far Cry 6, The game is barely playable, FPS can go as low as 10 fps, I noticed the CPU utilization is hovering just around 70 - 80 %, it is not even reach 100 %.

So what's causing my FPS so low? Is that the GPU just underpowered for that game or the CPU bottlenecking my GPU? This CPU is high end according to intel. Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

I have a core 2 quad system in my room, Yesterday i upgraded the Sytem from q6600 to q9400 and I also upgraded the GPU to Radeon 6600 XT.

After installed all of the components i noticed a huge FPS increase in older games but on newer games e.g Far Cry 6, The game is barely playable, FPS can go as low as 10 fps, I noticed the CPU utilization is hovering just around 70 - 80 %, it is not even reach 100 %.

So what's causing my FPS so low? Is that the GPU just underpowered for that game or the CPU bottlenecking my GPU? This CPU is high end according to intel. Can anyone help me?

Thanks!
You need a faster CPU to play far cry 6, your Q9400 which launched in Q3 2008 won't cut it.

Reactions: Microsoft Changes

Microsoft Changes

Reputable
Dec 28, 2019
So you're assuming that my CPU bottlenecks my GPU? If so what CPU should i buy for my system? The board is Gigabyte EP43-UD3L with 8 gigs of ram, everything above q9400 is getting very expensive

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Upgrading to newer platform would be expensive but i would try if i have some money.

Thank you guys for the answers!

you need at least a 10th gen Intel or it's AMD equivalent to keep up with the 6600XT.
but if money is an issue, try finding a cheap refurbished Dell that has at least i5-2500K or i7-2600k installed. Not the optimal choice, but should perform much better than your Q9400.

still using a Q9500 for backup storage. So I know the feel of using a core 2 quad in today's games. It can still handle light to moderate gaming. But for demanding games, you need to upgrade to another pc.

Last edited:

Microsoft Changes

Reputable
Dec 28, 2019
you need at least a 10th gen Intel or it's AMD equivalent to keep up with the 6600XT.
but if money is an issue, try finding a cheap refurbished Dell that has at least i5-2500K or i7-2600k installed. Not the optimal choice, but should perform much better than your Q9400.

still using a Q9500 for backup storage. So I know the feel of using a core 2 quad in today's games. It can still handle light to moderate gaming. But for demanding games, you need to upgrade to another pc.

Thanks for the answer, I have some very good deal for i5 2500 or Phenom ii x6 system in my region. But i think it still need a new PSU to keep up with more power hungry i5 2500 or equivalent. My current PSU is just unknown brand 500w with molex to 8 pin adapter.

I'll let you know if I finally getting that system.

Reactions: Tac 25

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Thanks for the answer, I have some very good deal for i5 2500 or Phenom ii x6 system in my region. But i think it still need a new PSU to keep up with more power hungry i5 2500 or equivalent. My current PSU is just unknown brand 500w with molex to 8 pin adapter.

that should be enough for 720p gameplay. An i5-2400 is the minimum requirement for Far Cry 5.

got it from Ubisoft's website.

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/help/...-minimum-requirements-for-far-cry-5/000065565

____

higher resolutions require stronger processors.

1080p =Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.5 GHz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz
2160p (30 fps) = Intel Core i7-6700 @ 3.4 GHz or AMD Ryzen 5 1600X @ 3.6 GHz
2160p (60fps) = Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz or AMD Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.4 GHz

anyway, you can just check out the link for more detailed info. :)

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What you have is a grandpa cpu. In older games, that's putting your grandpa up against other grandpa's in a foot race across flat ground, so does quite well. With games like FarCry6, that's a cross country race up and down mountains, and it's designed for teenagers. I'm surprised the game even plays.

There's no cure. Nothing to fix, gpu isn't to blame and won't help that grandpa in any way. You are trying to make a game from 2020+ work on a cpu from 2008. It's simply not capable of processing the sheer amount of information, fast enough to make decent fps. Wouldn't matter if the gpu was a GT1030 or 3090ti, the cpu just simply isn't strong enough in any department to get the job done.
higher resolutions require stronger processors.
Bogus. Resolution has nothing to do with the cpu. The cpu puts together a frames worth of information and sends it to the gpu. It's the gpu that renders that info according to resolution. Wouldn't make any difference if the resolution was 800x600 or 3840x2160, Op would still have a cpu outputting 10fps worth of data.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

The bigger problem, far more serious than problems playing games, is a mystery PSU using a molex adapter. That means there's a decent chance that you won't the owner of an RX 6600 XT by the time you upgrade and even if you still are, that the lifespan of the card may already have been shortened.

Microsoft Changes

Reputable
Dec 28, 2019
I know it's weird but the reason I brought that card is because of the features, I watced a lot of YouTube videos, my friend suggested me an rx 6600 xt rather than upgrade the whole system, He tells me that card was capable of decoding AV01 contents so i can watch videos more smoothly. I also occasionally gaming and decided play some newer games to see if its working properly, and i think okay its just time to upgrade my computer, The last time I upgraded my computer was like 6 years ago.

I bought the PSU directly from Aliexpress, it has 6 pins connector but not 8 pins so i need an 8 pins adapter required for this GPU. I know it's cheap PSU since my system is not so power hungry I think it's fine to just use this PSU.

If the PSU is also an issue, Could you please give me some good advice on cheap Power supplies? My budget is getting thin now.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I know it's weird but the reason I brought that card is because of the features, I watced a lot of YouTube videos, my friend suggested me an rx 6600 xt rather than upgrade the whole system, He tells me that card was capable of decoding AV01 contents so i can watch videos more smoothly. I also occasionally gaming and decided play some newer games to see if its working properly, and i think okay its just time to upgrade my computer, The last time I upgraded my computer was like 6 years ago.

I bought the PSU directly from Aliexpress, it has 6 pins connector but not 8 pins so i need an 8 pins adapter required for this GPU. I know it's cheap PSU since my system is not so power hungry I think it's fine to just use this PSU.

If the PSU is also an issue, Could you please give me some good advice on cheap Power supplies? My budget is getting thin now.

Cheap PSUs poorly regulate voltage and don't mitigate dirty power. Never use a junk PSU on any GPU that requires supplementary power. It's not just having enough power. That it's an Aliexpress PSU without an eight-pin connector is a serious, blaring red siren. We can give you a better idea as to the degree of danger if you link an image of the PSU's label on the side.

I would strongly urge you to take the GPU out of the machine if you plan on having it in the future. Generally speaking, a Corsair CX is the least expensive PSU worth buying with a GPU that requires supplementary power. If that's out of the question, I'd get a refund for the 6600 XT and avoid the risk that you simply lose the amount of money you spent on it; warranties are for issues caused by the manufacturer, not ones caused by you.

The PSU is the most important part of a PC. You always get a safe, dependable one before you spend additional money on more fun things like GPU or a CPU upgrade. You don't want to buy a sports car and then not have the money for the insurance or the maintenance.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Psu is often quoted as being the Heart of the pc for a reason. It is. Just like your heart supplies blood and oxygen to your entire body, the pc supplies voltage and amperage to everything from the motherboard to ram to cpu to gpu and drives etc. All very important, necessary and expensive parts.

Just as you'd not do so well or live so long with an irregular heartbeat, bad blood pressure, or lack of oxygen, a pc won't do so well with irregular voltages, bad voltage regulation, or lack of sufficient power.

I'm quite sure you personally would much rather have a good, strong, dependable heart, one that's worry free, well your pc is exactly no different.

It's perfectly fine to get an inexpensive psu, but at least make sure it's a good quality psu, something 'cheap' doesn't cut it.

Microsoft Changes

Reputable
Dec 28, 2019
Thanks for the answers, I decided to take the card out and replace it with my previous GPU (Radeon hd5450) while wait for PSU replacement before i move to another upgrades.

I don't think that corsair PSU was available in my region so me and my friend choose seasonic instead for the PSU replacement, I haven't bought it yet, ill post the update later.

TRENDING THREADS