Discussion Core 2 Quad in 2020 Discussion. Am i the only one ?

Sep 8, 2020
I m using most of my time this pc from 2008

CPU : QX9770
MB : P45 (asus )
Ram : DDR2 (8gb)
SSD + HD
Monitor : 1080p
GPU : (many)
Am i the only one ?
are you having troubles with your vintage pc ?
Are you Overclocking it ? max FSB ? Dual core or single core? Freq ?

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
I m using most of my time this pc from 2008

CPU : QX9770
MB : P45 (asus )
Ram : DDR2 (8gb)
SSD + HD
Monitor : 1080p
GPU : (many)
Am i the only one ?
are you having troubles with your vintage pc ?
Are you Overclocking it ? max FSB ? Dual core or single core? Freq ?
You are not alone. i'm using a core 2 quad q6600 with a gt1030

InvalidError

Titan
I ditched my C2D E8400 when I desperately needed more than 8GB back in 2012 and it made no economic sense to pay over $400 for 16GB of DDR2 when I could upgrade to my current i5-3470/H77M/32GB DDR3 for ~$550. (Initially got 16GB but that turned out to still be insufficient for what I was doing.)

I don't think I could bear using a PC with less than 16GB of RAM beyond the most basic stuff.

I have several lga775 systems spanning from the pentium line all the way to the q9550 all still running for various tasks.

What is your single thread performance like with the qx9770? I've only heard of that cpu in theory and wonder how it stacks up vs the single thread on the e8600.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Still got a old Core 2 Quad Q6600 how popular it was lol. Slow as heck then again the OS wasn't Windows at that time hehe. Also got a Sandy Bridge 2600k box. Nothing to be ashamed about but if its your main box you do work in then my blessings to you. When you upgarde it will feel like you went from a pinto to a bugatti my friend. 🤷‍♂️💯🙏☮

I've actually been impressed how fast even the pentium can feel compared to modern laptops at best buy and places like that. I'll quickly run speed-battle.com and see how something is running at the same speed as my pentium at home and yet costs a couple of hundred bucks--no thanks, I'll just keep running my 'old junk'.

For just basic work, nothing has really changed since the dos days--you can still crank out a document out of word processor or work in a simple spreadsheet. I haven't seen some sort of 'order of magnitude' speed improvement from even the win3.1 days. I guess my systems were well tuned back then too.

My rule of thumb is this--if the computer is waiting on me more than I'm waiting on it, it's fast enough. And I'm keyboard shortcutting the hell out of my systems so if they can keep up with that some mouse clicking would be a breeze for them.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
I have a nephew who still games on one of my overclocked Q9650 builds that we've kept upgraded over the years. It benchmarks, performs and games on par with a stock i5-2500K, and is well tweaked. Here's the specs:

Q9650 @ 4.2GHz (9 x 467 FSB)
Asus Rampage Extreme (X48 Chipset)
Crucial Ballistix Tracers 8GB (4 x 2) DDR3 1866 @ CL8
Samsung SSDs 840 Pro 256GB x 3 (RAID 0)
Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB (Overclocked)
Antech 902 V3 (Modded)
Corsair H105 (Front Mount)

The Q9650 was the last and best of the mainstream LGA 775 Quad Core processors. I've built and overclocked several and owned one. It's one of my all-time favorite CPUs due to the additional challenge it presents to find the proper combination of GTL settings, which is then rewarded by a 40% overclock. Recent generations after Haswell can't overclock like that.

Reactions: SamirD
Sep 8, 2020
You are not alone. i'm using a core 2 quad q6600 with a gt1030
Glad to find another Socket 775 user! Are you at stock speed ? :)
I find your config interesting : somehow balanced!

I ditched my C2D E8400 when I desperately needed more than 8GB back in 2012 and it made no economic sense to pay over $400 for 16GB of DDR2 when I could upgrade to my current i5-3470/H77M/32GB DDR3 for ~$550. (Initially got 16GB but that turned out to still be insufficient for what I was doing.)

I don't think I could bear using a PC with less than 16GB of RAM beyond the most basic stuff.
which program that requires so much ram did you have to use?
I agree, even when using "only" 8GB of RAM (2GB x 4), the p45 chipset can become unstable.
Even if you buy very expensive DDR2 RAM (4gb x 4) the instability would be a problem (and the inability to raise the FSB)

was the ddr2 too slow for your use?
however I am glad to know that CD2 held up! (Ram aside)

I have several lga775 systems spanning from the pentium line all the way to the q9550 all still running for various tasks.

What is your single thread performance like with the qx9770? I've only heard of that cpu in theory and wonder how it stacks up vs the single thread on the e8600.

Cinebench 10

default 3200 MHz : 13.100 (Multicore) 3750 (Singlecore)

Little OC 3800 MHz : 16.600 (Multicore) 4750 (Singlecore)

this cpu is hotter than any q9650/Q9550 Revision E0.(i have 2 of em too to compare, and they need less voltage) If you have a good mb, they re better.
Not a good overclocker as the legends says :)

(i ran cinebench 10 right now to answer, but i notice it's lower than the old ones, maybe because i took off the ram and it's in single channel, i ll do it again :) )

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020
Our home email/internet PC is a Core 2 Quad Q9550 with 8Gb RAM. Works great for what we use it for.

I think it can do much better than E-Mail /Internet :)

it can still handle many single player games (not mp sadly, they re too cpu intensive atm)

you can play TW3 without problems with a decent gpu :)

I'm sort of reeling that we have a part from 12 years ago and we're already calling it vintage :tearsofjoy:
I blame the damn millenials. And get off my lawn! :ROFLMAO:

i am a proudly born in 1980 :)

arajigar

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2016
Still Core 2 "Quadding". Q9550 + 8 GB RAM and a GTX 1050. I can play even actual games on it, of course, lowering the graphic quality. But it still kick xxx. :) Last actual games I play are DOOM Eternal (med low 1920x1080 more than 50 fps constant except the Icon of sin Boss with drops to 32-34 fps), Titanfall 2 (med-high 1920x1080 constant 55-60 fps), and so on. I think I´ll keep this oldie until I go for a new Ryzen setup in a future.

It will choke because of the bottleneck!! haha, a 1050 is bottlenecking at 17% or so, imagine with a beast like a 1080!!, but I will not say no if one of those come to my hands one day :)
I wouldn't worry about a bottleneck--that's like worrying that your tires grip better than you can drive--who cares...

I'd run with the fastest thing you can get your hands on and don't worry about the 'balance'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: arajigar

TRENDING THREADS