Core 2 Quad overheating, no overclocking...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dlikhten

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Ok, new development...

I took out my mobo, put it on a towel (don't forget to bring a towel, no lint) and snapped all 4 pins into my mobo correctly, made sure all 4 were in correctly and then re-attached my mobo.

The temperatures are now:
40c idle global temperature
65c max stress-test temperature (100% cpu usage on 4 cores for extended time)
A definite improvement...
I guess I might not buy that sink after all... but its definitely a good idea, ur running 60c max and u overclocked by a good 600mhz!!

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Lol, good job. Glad you got it worked out. I'm running at 3.2 GHz now at 400 MHz Bus. Stable atm... will be priming it over night, haven't hit 60C yet.

dlikhten

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
priming? prime95? humbug, it cant do more than 1 core worth of work...

I can send ya my crummy lill' java prog that will overload any 4-core cpu, wont be good for anything except heating it up. To kill it you must kill the process so do it in command line :)

this ran for 30 min and my cpu didnt go over 65, before it didnt stop at 80... i need to write a howto for this f-ing processor.

copy this into a file called Crapola.java, if you have jdk just compile it (no dendencies), and then run it.
[fixed]
public class Crapola {

/**
* @param args
*/
public static void main(String[] args) {
Crapola x = new Crapola();
x.new Threadenizer().start();
try{
Thread.sleep(1000000000L);
}
catch (InterruptedException e)
{
System.exit(1);
}
}

class Threadenizer extends Thread{
public void run() {
while(true);
}
}

}
[/fixed]

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Prime95v255 runs 4 worker threads :)

I have it 100% maxed out on all cores and running error checking to make sure there are no errors. They basically reworked Prime95 for stress testing. If it gets an error it stops the thread and lets you know what happened.

1 Hour and 4 minutes into Prime95 Stability Testing and it's looking good!

dlikhten

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Guess im not using correct version... ?

BTW: I was using SpeedFan and Core Temp to measure my temperatures, and both give diff numbers...
SpeedFan says my cores are at about 65c Core Temp says at about 75+, though core temp can't pick up my Tjunction at all... Can I trust Core Temp or SpeedFan ?

I am inclined to trust SpeedFan because this tool: EasyTune5 which is from my mobo, is pretty good (though a tad bit slow) at being at same readings as my mobo. The general temp it reports is accurate... And I don't know how I can have my cores at 70c and have a Tjunction of 56c, where as speedfan says its 48-55c cores 56 junction.

dlikhten

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Well I used their latest version, ran 4x instances and did a heat test, cpu spiked to over 70c in no time... Guess my cooling is still not adaquate...

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Do you have the B3 or G0 stepping?

Core Temp (Older versions) don't pick up the G0 properly.

http://majorgeeks.com/Core_Temp_d5665.html

Try that link to the Beta 0.95.4 which reads the G0 properly.

Reason I asked... G0 has a Tjunction of 100C and the B3 has a Tjunction of 85C. SpeedFan is consistently reading 15C low on my cores. (So its reading 40 C when the cores are 55C)

My BIOS and Smart Guardian both read Tcase and not Core Temps. I would only trust the new beta Core Temp to properly read your cores. Mine are consistently 10-15C higher than my Tcase (read through the BIOS/Smart Guardian) after stressing.

dlikhten

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Well the reader that I use most accurately is my motherboard's internals. I set a beep alarm when core is at 70c in my bios.

I am going to ship my processor to retailer for an exchange. This seems rediculous that the processor cannot handle loads without heating up 2 extreme temperatures. Then again intel may be giving a POS heat sink which is JUST enough for casual users, and good enough not to melt the cpu.

dlikhten

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Tjunction is max temp allowed for a core?

Also can you please tell me your bios set up for your processor? This way if i get that cooler, I can tweak it up too :) (I am no overclocking expert, far from it)

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I recommend ditching the stock cooler. If you have money, Vigor makes incredible fans. As far as the thermal paste, don't just dab it on over the cores. I spread it (in a thin film) over the entire surface of the processor. Why? Because the entire surface gets hot, and if its not all equally venting heat, its not going to vent heat well at all.

Physics.

dlikhten

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
So... I installed a core 2 duo that i had (i have 2 comps actually in the making) under stress it does 61c (this is no ram, all in cache, super heat test). Now this is the same cooler as the one that comes with the quad which has twice the cores so twice the heat... *sigh* i guess its not made for... you know... working :)

I am thinking of... straightening both surfaces, i forget what its called "officially" in these forums. :p

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Well... it kind of is. I don't run my cores over 60C but intel says it's fine.

The temp for the Q6600 G0 is 71C which is the spec for the IHS.

mosdapwn

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
if you're a q6600 g0 you're safe under 75 , even up to 80 won't be a disaster though not recommended .. but dude , but dude .. 80+ and 90+ .. it's probably a bad cpu (presuming you have all the cooling installed properly) , you say you haven't overclocked .. just take it back, get a replacement.