[SOLVED] Core 2 Quad Q6700 temperature

sungsean

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
I know it is a ancient CPU. I have question about the average temperature for Core 2 Quad Q6700.
With Speccy, the processor idles at around 45~48 C. Is it too high?
The CPU is not a new one.
Thx in advance.

sungsean

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Thank you for your answers!
I've found that just after turning on my computer, the average temp is 40 C.
When I open a web browser, temp goes up to 48 C.
Went up to 75 C when I played a YouTube show in full screen (27 inch)
Are these expected temperatures for Q6700? Or are they too high?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

sungsean

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Thank you for your answer, SamirD! I used Prim95 to test my Q6700. Using all four torture tests of Prime, the temperature maxed out at 81 C (Colored crimson red!) . Just wondering if it is too high.

Reactions: SamirD
If you're concerned or you feel the fan is revving too high, there are a plethora of cheap coolers designed for socket 775 you can find that should do better. It sounds like you're using the stock cooler, but I can't be for certain unless you know for sure or if you take a picture of it.

sungsean

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
I am sure it is a stock cooler. My computer is Dell Optiplex 755 Small form factor and the cooler fits perfectly inside the plastic cover that has illustrations on to show how to remove the heat sink from the CPU.
On the side point, I cleaned the thermal paste more thoroughly(I used 12 cutips with alcohol but it kept coming off!). Then reapplied the Arctic paste and retested with same youtube video but the temperatures were not affected by much at all except when right after computer booted ( temperature reduced to aroung 40 C avgerage). It was interesting test for me. Initially, I only wiped off the paste with only a paper towel because it had been newly applied. Anyhow, after cleaning thoroughly and reapplying thermal paste didn't change the high temperature!
So my question now is whether there are after-market heat sink that will fit inside the plastic cover that came with the machine.
Thanks.

I am sure it is a stock cooler. My computer is Dell Optiplex 755 Small form factor and the cooler fits perfectly inside the plastic cover that has illustrations on to show how to remove the heat sink from the CPU.
On the side point, I cleaned the thermal paste more thoroughly(I used 12 cutips with alcohol but it kept coming off!). Then reapplied the Arctic paste and retested with same youtube video but the temperatures were not affected by much at all except when right after computer booted ( temperature reduced to aroung 40 C avgerage). It was interesting test for me. Initially, I only wiped off the paste with only a paper towel because it had been newly applied. Anyhow, after cleaning thoroughly and reapplying thermal paste didn't change the high temperature!
So my question now is whether there are after-market heat sink that will fit inside the plastic cover that came with the machine.
Thanks.
Okay, now this makes sense. The 755 came with different coolers rated for different tdps, usually 65w, not 95w, although the 65w will do the job and spin up, you really need the 95w cooler. There's a couple of threads here on 755 coolers and which one to get--should be cheaper than any other solution and once you install it, everything will work as it should for years to come. :)

Reactions: sungsean

sungsean

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Okay, now this makes sense. The 755 came with different coolers rated for different tdps, usually 65w, not 95w, although the 65w will do the job and spin up, you really need the 95w cooler. There's a couple of threads here on 755 coolers and which one to get--should be cheaper than any other solution and once you install it, everything will work as it should for years to come. :)
I am having serious trouble finding the threads you mentioned SamirD. The 95W coolers for Optiplex 755.