[SOLVED] Core clock reduced due to "IA: Thermal Velocity Boost?"

Oct 19, 2021
I am trying to overclock my i11700k following the Pinned "CPU overclocking guide and tutorial for beginners" guide by Darkbreeze. I currently have all cores at 4.8Ghz and am attempting to do stability and thermal testing.

When running Prime95 small FFTs w/ AVX disabled, HWiNFO reports that the core multiplier starts at 48 then drops to 46 after a few minutes. The only limiter/throttling reason I can see in HWiNFO is IA: Thermal Velocity Boost. My CPU temps appear to be solid capping at 70C so I'm wondering how I can fix this and prevent my CPU from downclocking itself.

Solution
I thought TVB was only available for i9s? Was that changed in bios updates?

Anyways, TVB is a 100mhz boost across the cpu's entire boost curve, but it's only active up to 70C.
I guess if you want to pursue this overclock of yours, then you're going to have to disable it?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I thought TVB was only available for i9s? Was that changed in bios updates?

Anyways, TVB is a 100mhz boost across the cpu's entire boost curve, but it's only active up to 70C.
I guess if you want to pursue this overclock of yours, then you're going to have to disable it?

Solution
Oct 19, 2021
Thanks for the responses. I've disabled it in BIOS and that solved the problem. It seems like a handy feature to have just in case so I wish I could just change the threshold for TVB to like 85C instead of 70C.

Thanks again!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
kerberos_20, I think you're talking about Adaptive Boost Technology. It's much more aggressive.
Thermal Velocity Boost is like this:
Above 70C
1 core active: 4.9ghz
2 cores: 4.9ghz
3 cores: 4.9ghz
4 cores: 4.7ghz
5 cores: 4.7ghz
6 cores: 4.6ghz
7 cores: 4.6ghz
8 cores: 4.6ghz

Under 70C, it would be +100mhz or more to all of the above.

Last edited:
Anyways, TVB is a 100mhz boost
Some motherboards allow more than 100 MHz. I know my Asus desktop board allows you to select +100 MHz or +200 MHz in the BIOS. I think you can also change the temperature when TVB is active. I prefer maximum and consistent performance so I just leave TVB turned off.

jh3zbIU.png

Reactions: Phaaze88