[SOLVED] Core i3 with 8gb ram or core i5 with 4gb ram for gaming?

tantrik003

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016
Processor: Intel Core i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
Motherboard: Asus H81M-E
Memory: Transcend 2GB DIMM DDR3 1333 MHz (Channel B)
Undefined 2GB DIMM DDR3 1600 MHz (Channel A)
OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit/Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (only for pc game)

Dear friends,

I am playing a pc game - Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition. This game takes about 2-3 minutes to load for the menu screen to appear and takes another 2-3 minutes to load for a "standard game" to start. After saving the game it takes another 5-7 minutes to load any 'saved' game later. After the game has loaded it will lag for another 1-2 minutes before smooth playing. Should I upgrade the ram from 4GB to 8GB or upgrade the processor from core i3 to core i5? Which is important in gaming - higher ram or powerful/faster processor?

When I play the game I am not doing any multitasking (just play the game and nothing else). I want to make an upgrade which will be beneficial for the future also. Also I am tight on budget. I want to make the upgrade in such a way so that I won't need to upgrade anything in the future and play this game as smoothly as possible.

Thanks in advance.

You can find used RAM for very cheap, especially DDR3. It also appears you can get a i5 4570 on ebay for around 30 USD. I would also suggest if you have a used PC parts store or PC recycler (some sell parts) to check around them.

However slow load times are not cause by lack of RAM. Is your HDD near full capacity? Does your HDD make any strange noises? How long has it been since your formatted and reinstalled Windows?

Reactions: Phaaze88

tantrik003

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016
However slow load times are not cause by lack of RAM. Is your HDD near full capacity? Does your HDD make any strange noises? How long has it been since your formatted and reinstalled Windows?

No my HDD (toshiba) is 2TB and has more than 1 TB free space and it does not make any noise. The game is installed in a 100 GB partition, not in the partition where win 10 64bit is installed. I installed and started to play the pc game few weeks ago. I don't even use internet while playing the game to make sure it doesn't slow down.