Aug 3, 2019
Hello guys,

This is my setup:
Asus Prime Z490-P
16GB RAM Corsair Vengeance 3200
Core i5 10600 with Intel's Aircooler
and Gpu : GTX 1080
PSU: Masterwatt Lite 230V 700W(link)
Most weird thing about Cpu is the temperature!
It's so high even when it's idle.

Avg temperature is 40-50° that obviously high
it should be around 20-30°
and games crashing constantly (fortnite for example)
So what's the problem ? this means I did something wrong or Intel's Aircooler is just bad this much?

Last edited:
Solution
What do you think about Noctua NH-U12S?

It's a good mid-sized CPU cooler and it will be better than your current stock Intel cooler. Though, before getting it, make sure your PC case has CPU cooler clearance at least 158mm or more. Else-ways, you can't close your PC case side panel.

My case have four fan slots that two of them is in front , is that mean that I can put 240 AIO?
240mm rad, while having 2x 120mm fans on it, is usually longer than 240mm. More like 260mm or so (since there's tubing that goes to the rad as well). So, when your PC case has snug fit for 2x 120mm fans, without lee-way, 240mm rad usually doesn't fit. Consult your PC case specs to see what kind of rads it supports.

So what do you recommend...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Intel's Aircooler is just bad this much?
It's most likely this. Intel stock CPU cooler is one of the worst air coolers out there. Though, it is better than having nothing at all.

From where this comes from?

Since when you'd have big-sized CPU air cooler or 280mm /360mm rad + ambient temp is 20-30C then yes. Otherwise: No.

If your ambient temp is e.g 30C then there's almost no way on earth, where you can get 20C for CPU idle temps, regardless which CPU air cooler, AIO or open loop you use. Since all those coolers are cooled by ambient air. Only way to get your CPU temps lower than ambient temp is when you're using LN2 cooling.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello guys,

This is my setup:
Asus Prime Z490-P
16GB RAM Corsair Vengeance 3200
Core i5 10600 with Intel's Aircooler
and Gpu : GTX 1080

Most weird thing about Cpu is the temperature!
It's so high even when it's idle.

Avg temperature is 40-50° that obviously high
and games crashing constantly (fortnite for example)
So what's the problem ? this means I did something wrong or Intel's Aircooler is just bad this much?
Download and run OCCT and report back with your temp. (you always check the temps under load.

It's not just Intel stock coolers they all suck even the AMD just not as bad but they do limit the boost speed.

You did not list your power supply make, model and watts.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
It's most likely this. Intel stock CPU cooler is one of the worst air coolers out there. Though, it is better than having nothing at all.

Since when you'd have big-sized CPU air cooler or 280mm /360mm rad + ambient temp is 20-30C then yes. Otherwise: No.

If your ambient temp is e.g 30C then there's almost no way on earth, where you can get 20C for CPU idle temps, regardless which CPU air cooler, AIO or open loop you use. Since all those coolers are cooled by ambient air. Only way to get your CPU temps lower than ambient temp is when you're using LN2 cooling.
Bravo Bravo!!! Well unless the person lives in Alaska or Canada or Russia 😂 Or houses his unit outside lol to freeze and give off perspiration and what not 😂 Anyhow 40c is normal for idle but ideall you would want 35c on that CPU unless you have over volted and what not. Try reseating the cooler as above said or asked did you build it or buy it. If you bought it maybe on the course of arriving to you it took a couple shots cheap shots at that. Or if you built it then reapply your situation. Take off the cooler clean the HS with alchohol and cotton and clean the CPU plate as well. Then apply some at minimum MX-5 paste and put some in middle and move her around and cover it everywhere but not to much. Less is better here. ✝👨🏽‍🦲🤷‍♀️🙈😷

Reactions: Mair0n

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Can't forget the fact that the ambient air INSIDE the chassis is always hotter than in the actual room.
So if it's 30C in the room, it wouldn't be unheard of for the air inside your chassis to be 40C or higher. Therefore, the lowest temperature any piece of hardware should report would be whatever the chassis ambient is.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Bravo Bravo!!! Well unless the person lives in Alaska or Canada or Russia 😂 Or houses his unit outside lol to freeze and give off perspiration and what not 😂 Anyhow 40c is normal for idle but ideall you would want 35c on that CPU unless you have over volted and what not. Try reseating the cooler as above said or asked did you build it or buy it. If you bought it maybe on the course of arriving to you it took a couple shots cheap shots at that. Or if you built it then reapply your situation. Take off the cooler clean the HS with alchohol and cotton and clean the CPU plate as well. Then apply some at minimum MX-5 paste and put some in middle and move her around and cover it everywhere but not to much. Less is better here. ✝👨🏽‍🦲🤷‍♀️🙈😷
New paste on the stock cooler is going to make almost no difference they need to check the temp under load.

Reactions: Mair0n and Phaaze88

Mair0n

Reputable
Aug 3, 2019

My previous setup was around 30C thats why I was thinking that It should be around 20-30C

So what do you recommend to me?
and what kind of cooling? Air or AIO?
My case have four fan slots that two of them is in front , is that mean that I can put 240 AIO?
is 120 AIO worth it?
Download and run OCCT and report back with your temp. (you always check the temps under load.

It's not just Intel stock coolers they all suck even the AMD just not as bad but they do limit the boost speed.

You did not list your power supply make, model and watts.
Sorry , now its on the list check it out.

OCCT Screenshot
OCCT Screenshot2

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

It's a good mid-sized CPU cooler and it will be better than your current stock Intel cooler. Though, before getting it, make sure your PC case has CPU cooler clearance at least 158mm or more. Else-ways, you can't close your PC case side panel.

240mm rad, while having 2x 120mm fans on it, is usually longer than 240mm. More like 260mm or so (since there's tubing that goes to the rad as well). So, when your PC case has snug fit for 2x 120mm fans, without lee-way, 240mm rad usually doesn't fit. Consult your PC case specs to see what kind of rads it supports.

So what do you recommend to me?
and what kind of cooling? Air or AIO?
is 120 AIO worth it?
As far as AIOs vs air coolers go, you won't gain any cooling performance if you go with AIO over air cooler since both are cooled by ambient air.
For equal cooling performance between AIOs and air coolers, rad needs to be 240mm or 280mm. Smaller rads: 120mm and 140mm are almost always outperformed by mid-sized air coolers. Single slot rads (120mm and 140mm) are good in mini-ITX builds where you don't have enough CPU cooler clearance to install mid-sized CPU air cooler.

Here are the positive sides of both (air and AIO) CPU cooling methods;

Pros of air coolers:
less cost
less maintenance
less noise
far longer longevity
no leakage risks
doesn't take up case fan slots
additional cooling for the RAM
CPU cools down faster after heavy heat output

Pros of AIOs:
no RAM clearance issues*
no CPU clearance issues
CPU takes longer time to heat up during heavy heat output (about 30 mins)
* on some cases, top mounted rad can give RAM clearance issues

While how the CPU cooler looks inside the PC depends on a person. Some people prefer to see small AIO pump in the middle of their MoBo with tubing going to the rad while others prefer to see big heatsink with fans in the middle of their MoBo.

Main difference between AIO and air cooler is that with AIO, you'll get more noise at a higher cost while cooling performance remains the same.
Here's also one good article for you to read where king of air coolers (Noctua NH-D15) was put against 5x high-end AIOs,
link: http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-d15-versus-closed-loop-liquid-coolers/1

Personally, i'd go with air coolers every day of the week. With same cooling performance, the pros of air coolers outweigh the pros of AIOs considerably. While, for me, the 3 main pros would be:
1. Less noise.
Since i like my PC to be quiet, i can't stand the loud noise AIO makes. Also, when air gets trapped inside the AIO (some AIOs are more prone to this than others), there's additional noise coming from inside the pump.
2. Longevity.
Cheaper AIOs usually last 2-3 years and high-end ones 4-5 years before you need to replace it. While with air coolers, their life expectancy is basically unlimited. Only thing that can go bad on an air cooler is the fan on it. If the fan dies, your CPU still has cooling in form of a big heatsink. Also, new 120mm or 140mm fan doesn't cost much and it's easy to replace one. While with AIOs, the main thing that usually goes bad is the pump itself. And when that happens, your CPU has no cooling whatsoever. Since you can't replace pump on an AIO, you need to buy whole new AIO to replace the old one out.
3. No leakage risks.
Since there's liquid circling inside the AIO, there is always a risk that your AIO can leak. While it's rare, it has happened. It's well known fact that liquids and electronics don't mix.

Solution

Mair0n

Reputable
Aug 3, 2019

As far as AIOs vs air coolers go, you won't gain any cooling performance if you go with AIO over air cooler since both are cooled by ambient air.
For equal cooling performance between AIOs and air coolers, rad needs to be 240mm or 280mm. Smaller rads: 120mm and 140mm are almost always outperformed by mid-sized air coolers. Single slot rads (120mm and 140mm) are good in mini-ITX builds where you don't have enough CPU cooler clearance to install mid-sized CPU air cooler.

Here are the positive sides of both (air and AIO) CPU cooling methods;

Pros of air coolers:
less cost
less maintenance
less noise
far longer longevity
no leakage risks
doesn't take up case fan slots
additional cooling for the RAM
CPU cools down faster after heavy heat output

Pros of AIOs:
no RAM clearance issues*
no CPU clearance issues
CPU takes longer time to heat up during heavy heat output (about 30 mins)
* on some cases, top mounted rad can give RAM clearance issues

While how the CPU cooler looks inside the PC depends on a person. Some people prefer to see small AIO pump in the middle of their MoBo with tubing going to the rad while others prefer to see big heatsink with fans in the middle of their MoBo.

Main difference between AIO and air cooler is that with AIO, you'll get more noise at a higher cost while cooling performance remains the same.
Here's also one good article for you to read where king of air coolers (Noctua NH-D15) was put against 5x high-end AIOs,
link: http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-d15-versus-closed-loop-liquid-coolers/1

Personally, i'd go with air coolers every day of the week. With same cooling performance, the pros of air coolers outweigh the pros of AIOs considerably. While, for me, the 3 main pros would be:
1. Less noise.
Since i like my PC to be quiet, i can't stand the loud noise AIO makes. Also, when air gets trapped inside the AIO (some AIOs are more prone to this than others), there's additional noise coming from inside the pump.
2. Longevity.
Cheaper AIOs usually last 2-3 years and high-end ones 4-5 years before you need to replace it. While with air coolers, their life expectancy is basically unlimited. Only thing that can go bad on an air cooler is the fan on it. If the fan dies, your CPU still has cooling in form of a big heatsink. Also, new 120mm or 140mm fan doesn't cost much and it's easy to replace one. While with AIOs, the main thing that usually goes bad is the pump itself. And when that happens, your CPU has no cooling whatsoever. Since you can't replace pump on an AIO, you need to buy whole new AIO to replace the old one out.
3. No leakage risks.
Since there's liquid circling inside the AIO, there is always a risk that your AIO can leak. While it's rare, it has happened. It's well known fact that liquids and electronics don't mix.
This is the best comparison between AIOs and air coolers. I appreciate that!

Less noise is also important to me bc it feels that pc goes crazy.

The only problem that I have with air coolers is the size of them , they are so big!!

I read in my case specs : 120mm AIO and 160mm air coolers height that I think air coolers is better for me

between air coolers , can you introduce to me atleast 3 or more air coolers that have good performance?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
between air coolers , can you introduce to me atleast 3 or more air coolers that have good performance?

Sure;

1. ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO,
specs: https://www.arctic.ac/en/Freezer-34-eSports-DUO/ACFRE00060A
review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/arctic-freezer-34-esports-duo-cooler,6352.html

Few words
Freezer 34 eSports Duo is one of the best, if not the best mid-sized CPU air cooler currently out there. There's a lot to like about: 6x different color options, 2x 120mm fluid-dynamic bearing fans included (push-pull out of the box), no RAM clearance issues, cheap price, good performance, only 157mm in height and hefty 10 years of warranty. Only thing it doesn't have, is RGB.

2. Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4,
specs: https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/1376
review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/be-quiet-dark-rock-4-cpu-cooler,5563.html

Few words
A solid 2nd choice if there's no Freezer 34 eSports Duo to choose from. It has: classy all black looks, comes with 1x 135mm fluid-dynamic bearing fan, no RAM clearance issues, priced on the premium side, good performance, 159.4mm in height and 3 years of warranty. Doesn't have RGB or 2nd fan for push-pull.

3. Noctua NH-D14,
specs: https://noctua.at/en/nh-d14/specification
NH-D14 vs 4x AIOs: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/h100i-elc240-seidon-240m-lq320,3380.html

Few words
NH-D14 is the predecessor of NH-D15 and by current date, is 11 years old. Despite that, NH-D14 is still good big-sized CPU cooler to use, especially since it's height of only 160mm, makes it possible to install into PC cases where mainly medium-sized CPU coolers would fit. Though, Noctua brown/beige fan coloring is ether instant love or hate. Other than that, it comes with 2x fluid-dynamic bearing fans, one in 120mm and another in140mm in size (with push-pull out of the box) and has good cooling performance. Since it's big-sized CPU cooler, it also costs accordingly and it does have RAM clearance issues. No RGB with this one either.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Sure;

1. ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO,
specs: https://www.arctic.ac/en/Freezer-34-eSports-DUO/ACFRE00060A
review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/arctic-freezer-34-esports-duo-cooler,6352.html

Few words
Freezer 34 eSports Duo is one of the best, if not the best mid-sized CPU air cooler currently out there. There's a lot to like about: 6x different color options, 2x 120mm fluid-dynamic bearing fans included (push-pull out of the box), no RAM clearance issues, cheap price, good performance, only 157mm in height and hefty 10 years of warranty. Only thing it doesn't have, is RGB.

2. Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4,
specs: https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/1376
review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/be-quiet-dark-rock-4-cpu-cooler,5563.html

Few words
A solid 2nd choice if there's no Freezer 34 eSports Duo to choose from. It has: classy all black looks, comes with 1x 135mm fluid-dynamic bearing fan, no RAM clearance issues, priced on the premium side, good performance, 159.4mm in height and 3 years of warranty. Doesn't have RGB or 2nd fan for push-pull.

3. Noctua NH-D14,
specs: https://noctua.at/en/nh-d14/specification
NH-D14 vs 4x AIOs: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/h100i-elc240-seidon-240m-lq320,3380.html

Few words
NH-D14 is the predecessor of NH-D15 and by current date, is 11 years old. Despite that, NH-D14 is still good big-sized CPU cooler to use, especially since it's height of only 160mm, makes it possible to install into PC cases where mainly medium-sized CPU coolers would fit. Though, Noctua brown/beige fan coloring is ether instant love or hate. Other than that, it comes with 2x fluid-dynamic bearing fans, one in 120mm and another in140mm in size (with push-pull out of the box) and has good cooling performance. Since it's big-sized CPU cooler, it also costs accordingly and it does have RAM clearance issues. No RGB with this one either.
I couldn't agree more with my guru friend here. If your looking for something cheap but good grab a Hyper 212 Evo or the Black Edition which would cost more. Something like the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 which I got for my fathers 9900k is exceptional with zero noise. It is very huge but most modern cases are pretty wide and will just fit nice without bothering RAM either. However it costs 85 dollars. Where as a typical Hyper 212 Evo is like 30 dollars or so. The Noctua DH-14 or Noctua DH-15 is solid as a rock as well, no phun intended. Just a price thing as to what your budget is as some of these air coolers go high in price however in return you get to put a nice curve on your fans and CPU temp and run them at 800rpm then 1100rpm when reaching 80c and what not. 🙈😷🤷‍♀️🤙🏽

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Hyper 212 Evo or the Black Edition

This CPU cooler and it's variants are the CPU coolers i will never suggest for anyone.

Why? Simple: if you pay peanuts, you'll get monkeys.

Some further words

Let's compare two CPU coolers; on my side, i'll bring ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO forth. On other side, we have Hyper 212 Evo.
Hyper 212 Evo specs as well: http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/hyper-212-evo/

When comparing Freezer 34 eSports Duo with Hyper 212 Evo, Freezer 34 eSports Duo has:
  • shorter height (157mm vs 159mm)
  • better fan bearing (fluid-dynamic bearing vs sleeve bearing)
  • far longer longevity for a fan (300.000 hours vs 40.000 hours)
  • a lot longer warranty (10 years vs 2 years)
  • much quieter fan (24.4 dB(A) vs 36 dB(A))
  • twice the fan amount (2x fans vs 1x fan)
  • support for AM4 sockets off the bat (Hyper 212 Evo needs AM4 upgrade kit which you need to buy separately)
Only thing, where Hyper 212 Evo is better, is in cheaper price (about $10-19 cheaper, depending on which CPU cooler you pick),
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/hmtCmG,hHDJ7P,dmXnTW,Jbm323/

But the thing is, if you want to buy good and cheap CPU cooler, you need to buy two CPU coolers, the cheap one (Hyper 212 Evo) and the good one (Freezer 34 eSports Duo). You can not get good quality with cheap price. This is actually so with all products out there.

And now about the 2nd contender: Hyper 212 Evo RGB Black Edition
While Hyper 212 Evo RGB Black Edition does have better fan on it, alongside some minor other changes, compared to the Hyper 212 Evo, it is still worse than Freezer 34 eSports Duo.
Above, i linked Freezer 34 eSports Duo review. From that review, we can see how it fared against Hyper 212 Evo RGB Black Edition:

8CmMwamdW4YWdPVf7Jpcg5-650-80.png

Based on results, it's clear that, while Hyper 212 Evo RGB Black Edition and Freezer 34 eSports Duo (black/yellow) cost the same $44, Freezer 34 eSports Duo is still a better CPU cooler. Moreover, with Freezer 34 eSports Duo you'll get 2x fans in push-pull while with Hyper 212 Evo RGB Black Edition you'll get 1x fan, which is RGB fan. Unless you're one of those people who thinks that RGB gives more FPS. :crazy:

With CPU coolers, i thought the idea is to provide sufficient cooling to your CPU, rather than being penny pincher, or am i wrong? :heink: