Core I5 2500k upgrade (I7 7700k vs I5 7600k)

STRIKER_RU

Honorable
Apr 17, 2015
Hi everyone!

I am planning to upgrade my Core I5 2500k and can't decide which CPU do I need. So I would be very thankful to hear some suggestions from you.

I have a budget to buy a good Z270 mono and 16 GB of fast 3000 MHz RAM. My target is gaming. I use a 1080p monitor now and not planning to upgrade (at least for now). My GPU will be GTX 1060 (6GB) or 1070.

So my main concern is to build the most future proof solution (4-5 years). Normally I upgrade my GPU every 2 years. I know that I5 7600k is very good right now, but should I pay some extra for I7 7700k? Is it worth it?

Thanks!

P.S. I will consider AMD RYZEN as well

Solution

If you are planning a primarily gaming PC you simply cannot beat the 7700k... it has the fastest...

abaday789

Honorable
Jul 4, 2014
how long are you intending your rig to last until you next upgrade is the question. If you're not looking to upgrade for say the next 5 years I would look at going for the 7700K and the 1070. As they should then give a greater performance gap allowing you to play at better settings for a longer period in comparison say the 7600k and gtx1060 :)

Don't forget ryzen is out soon so prices on the intel side already appear to be starting to fall slightly. You also might want to wait until there are some real world bench marks out for ryzen too as they might well out perform their intel counterparts for a more affordable price

wait a week. Ryzen is coming out and their r7-1700x and r7-1700 are direct competition for the i7-7700k and i7-6800k. Expect intel prices to fall, and possibly for AMD chips to be a better buy/option.

As for the i5 vs i7 thing. The i5 prices will have to come down when the r5 series releases later in the year, and if the leaked benches are anything to go by, I'm not sure it will ever make sense to buy a basic quad core again, when you might be able to get a r5 with 6 cores/12 threads for the same price.

I don't think Ryzen will be the best chips on the market, and I think intel will have slightly better ipc (5%), but I suspect performance will be so close it will come down to price. Which is why the price of that i7-7700k will probably come down a lot and I suggest you wait a week to see what happens.

Samat

Distinguished
Ryzen R7 models will be released tomorrow (2nd of march), with immediate availibility of around million units world wide (according to reports around the net). Benchmarks should be out tomorrow aswell, so I'd check them out before making any decisions.

doubletake

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
You've pretty much locked down your choices here by mentioning "future proof". It'd seem kinda pointless to move from one non-hyperthreaded quad core to another.

However, I'd have to agree on holding out for the Ryzen release to try and find better deals. Once real gaming benchmarks are out, you'll be ending up with either a faster AMD build for the same prices that are out now, or you'll end up with a modern Intel build for cheaper than if you didn't wait.

STRIKER_RU

Honorable
Apr 17, 2015

Good point, thanks! I will definitely wait.

ultranoobcannon

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014

If you are planning a primarily gaming PC you simply cannot beat the 7700k... it has the fastest single threaded performance of any chip and it is the reigning king of gaming benchmarks. As for future proofing, I would pick the 7700k over the 7600k as it multi-threading and overclocks higher. With the components that you listed the i7 will make for an awesome gaming rig for 1080 resolution... 2 years from now, you may even want upgrade your monitor/ graphics card and game at 1440 (the 7700k will be a great foundation for whatever you want to do).

As for the Ryzen, the real world benchmarks where a bit disappointing, particularly in gaming. Some benchmarks have the 7700k beating the 1800x by over 30% in 1080 gaming performance... considering the 1800x is a $499 chip, I would not recommend Ryzen as my first choice for a gaming rig.

Solution