Question Core i5 4590s Vs Xeon E3-1230V2

May 15, 2019
I am currently planning a budget PC for a relative of mine. As the title suggests I am deciding between a Xeon E3-1230V2 and an i5 4590s.

Specs are as listed below:

Asus GTX 680 directcu II OC
HyperX genesis 8gb 1600mHz
600W PSU

From what I've gathered the i5 has slightly better single core and quad core performance but obviously lacks hyperthreading.
I can get both processors for roughly the same price ($20 without motherboard). The primary use case will be gaming.

Which processor would you choose out of the two?

Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks!

While the hyperthreading would definitely be nice to have, the Haswell definitely has better single core performance AND more importantly, you can likely find a board (Although neither platform will be particularly easy to find a reliable board that is likely to still have a lot of life left in it, and new boards will be prohibitively expensive if you can even find a new old stock unit) easier that is even worth paying cash money for than the Ivy bridge Xeon.

Plus, the Haswell actually has somewhat of an upgrade path open to it, as you could pop a 4790 or 4790k in there later if you come across a deal on one and gain those hyperthreads. Finding one from the start would be even better, but for the price you are being offered on those two units I think the Haswell i5 is the better option. Probably depends on whether they typically play games that are not particularly linear and will actually use those hyperthreads or not, and whether they do much multitasking. If they do either of those things, it might be a tossup.