[SOLVED] Core i5 6400t?

Jun 19, 2020
My son has an old hp 260-p206 slimline computer with a Core i3 6100t processor. It has a hamar motherboard. We added the only graphics card that would work with the power supply (1030) and upgraded to 16gb of ram. He is still having a lot of issues with fortnite loading. I don't know what the ts and ks are on the processors. Is it even worth upgrading the processor to i5 6400t? Will that run fortnite? We could upgrade the power supply, the case and get a 1650 graphics card for a few hundred dollars, but would the 6400t be worth it? Or should we scrap it all and build an AMD 5 2600 system for around $500? He is only 12, so not a heavy gamer, but wants to play fortnite with low settings and not much lag, and I want to get the best bang for my buck. I'm a programmer so I can handle the building.

Solution
The reason for the Lag should be the GPU, a GT 1030 isnt strong enough to run fortnite at 1080p.That's also not the only problem because the CPU is also a bit outdated. Even if you get a better GPU and pair it with your current CPU it'll cause a bottleneck and CPU bottlenecks are usually troublesome(stutters, skipping etc).

I recommend you get a Ryzen build. for the CPU I recommend R5 1600AF/R3 3300X/R5 2600 whichever you can find cheapest. An A320 Motherboard will work but if you get 3300X make sure you check the manufacturer's website to see if it's supported because its new and some A320s dont support it YET.

For the GPU, a 1650 will be good but if you want best performance for least money then 1650S is really great. Cheap and will...
An SSD Upgrade, then install fortnite on the ssd would be bang for the buck problem. If your son just playing games, and you want to increase the performance, build a ryzen 3 3100 or i3 9100f system, than it should be moree than enough. Less money spend since R5 2600 is better for work rather than gaming.

The reason for the Lag should be the GPU, a GT 1030 isnt strong enough to run fortnite at 1080p.That's also not the only problem because the CPU is also a bit outdated. Even if you get a better GPU and pair it with your current CPU it'll cause a bottleneck and CPU bottlenecks are usually troublesome(stutters, skipping etc).

I recommend you get a Ryzen build. for the CPU I recommend R5 1600AF/R3 3300X/R5 2600 whichever you can find cheapest. An A320 Motherboard will work but if you get 3300X make sure you check the manufacturer's website to see if it's supported because its new and some A320s dont support it YET.

For the GPU, a 1650 will be good but if you want best performance for least money then 1650S is really great. Cheap and will play other games not only fortnite but if the purpose of this is to ONLY run fortnite then yeah GTX 1650 is fine. RX 580 is also an option that's not too expensive but more powerful than a 1650 and in some cases even the 1650S.

Solution