core i5 6500 vs core i3 6100

chickenwings14

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016
does core i5 makes more fps than a core i3 with an msi gtx 960 gaming 2gb?
the components would be:
msi z170m mortar
g.skill ripjaws 8gb dual 2400MHz

games that I wanted to play:
the division
far cry primal
nfs 2015
bf4
black ops 3
gta v

any thoughts? thank you!

Solution
For 1080p, you'll be fine with the 2GB.

Whether coming with MGS V makes it a good deal, entirely depends. Will you play it? Would you have bought it anyway? Assuming it's worth the "standard" $60 or so?

If answers to both are yes, and the price is no different that another 960 offering (or minimal) then yes, it sounds like a good deal.

If you won't play the game, would not have bought it, and the price is substantially more than another 960, then no, it wouldn't be a good deal.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The i3 (dual core + hyper-threading) and the i5 (quad core) should both be capable of decent results in most games, when paired with a GTX 960.

That being said, games that heavily utilize the CPU would perform better with the 'true' quad-core i5.

I don't know much about each individual game you've listed, but my understanding is GTA V benefits substantially from an i5 over an i3.

An i5 will frequently result in higher FPS, especially in CPU demanding games. Whether that difference is +2-5 FPS or +25FPS will depend on each specific game.

As far as the 2GB vs 4GB, the 4GB makes the most sense in the US, as you're only talking $20 more (a 2GB from EVGA can be had for $160 vs an MSI 4GB for $180). The added VRAM gives you a bit of a 'buffer' over the 2GB for GPU memory demanding tasks, and would also allow you to increase your resolution (relatively) comfortably.

chickenwings14

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016

here in our country gtx 960 gaming 2g is priced at 225$ and getting a 4gb has a difference of 50$.
how about an i3 paired with gtx 960 gaming 4g is it worth it?
thank you for your thoughts!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Given the games you want to play, and the fact you want the highest FPS possible (I'm assuming that's what you were getting at, at least), the i5 is absolutely your best option. Paired with either the 2GB or 4GB version of the GPU.

The i3 (also paired with either) will also run pretty well, but you'd see the best performance from the i5.

chickenwings14

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016

I'll just get an i5 with a gaming 2g and btw the gaming 2g comes with mgsv is that a good deal? Ill be gaming on 1080p

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
For 1080p, you'll be fine with the 2GB.

Whether coming with MGS V makes it a good deal, entirely depends. Will you play it? Would you have bought it anyway? Assuming it's worth the "standard" $60 or so?

If answers to both are yes, and the price is no different that another 960 offering (or minimal) then yes, it sounds like a good deal.

If you won't play the game, would not have bought it, and the price is substantially more than another 960, then no, it wouldn't be a good deal.

Solution

chickenwings14

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016

thats the cheapest gtx 960 I saw because it has a free MGS V. yes I would totally play the game. thank you very much!