Question Core i5-8600K ram upgrade or PC upgrade

Aug 12, 2022
So I bought my PC a while back and I'm mostly happy with it still, but I'm having one big issue and it's my ram. I run out of ram pretty easily and it's about time that I upgrade. I'd like to get 32GB of ram and I see that even if my CPU is limited to DDR4-2666 but I can possibly get a little more.

So currently I have

GIGABYTE Z370P D3 (rev. 1.0) motherboard
Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2400 ram
Core i5-8600K

Now the big question is should I just upgrade my ram or would it be about time I upgrade my PC to go with it. I'd like to buy some better component in a near future, but I also don't want to buy everything at the same time especially with 13 Gen coming soon, CPU will probably go down a little.
Would it be a good idea to go for some good memory stick or would I get too much issue/bottleneck with my CPU without any upgrades.

I also saw that DDR5 are getting more common. Is it worth the investment for a future proof PC or are they not worth it yet?

Thanks
Max

So I bought my PC a while back and I'm mostly happy with it still, but I'm having one big issue and it's my ram. I run out of ram pretty easily and it's about time that I upgrade. I'd like to get 32GB of ram and I see that even if my CPU is limited to DDR4-2666 but I can possibly get a little more.

So currently I have

Core i5-8600K

Now the big question is should I just upgrade my ram or would it be about time I upgrade my PC to go with it. I'd like to buy some better component in a near future, but I also don't want to buy everything at the same time especially with 13 Gen coming soon, CPU will probably go down a little.
Would it be a good idea to go for some good memory stick or would I get too much issue/bottleneck with my CPU without any upgrades.

I also saw that DDR5 are getting more common. Is it worth the investment for a future proof PC or are they not worth it yet?

Thanks
Max
Hello there!!
What's the PC used for primarily?
Also i won't suggest you to upgrade if you are already happy with it just get the Ram if you want but imo no need of an entire new system until you want or need to.

Aug 12, 2022
Hello there!!
What's the PC used for primarily?
Also i won't suggest you to upgrade if you are already happy with it just get the Ram if you want but imo no need of an entire new system until you want or need to.
Some gaming but not often I player AAA. Mostly indie game.
Else I'm a programmer/ex Graphist, with some liking in game dev. So I often use Photoshop, Illustrator, Unity and Visual Studio (Often more than one instance) and sometime all of them at once (When I work in unity)

It would be reasonable to buy a 2 x 16gb DDR4 3600 speed replacement.
2666 is the speed at which your motherboard can boot to get you into the bios.
Once there, you can set the speed to 3600 via xmp. Up to 4000 speed is possible, but more expensive and the benefit is questionable.

As far as a future upgrade to 12th or 13th gen, the 32gb of DDR4 will be supported. So far, there is no great performance difference in actual apps between DDR4 and DDR5.

Reactions: Lefom

So currently I have

Core i5-8600K

Thanks
Max
I think for 13th gen you will be wanting DDR5, it's much more affordable now and readily available so it's unlikely you will buy RAM that is transferable to a new machine. In terms of your current machine, if your happy with the performance it's giving you then I would be reluctant to tell you to replace a working and reliable machine for the sake of having the latest hardware.

However you mention that you would in fact like to buy some better components in the near future. If that's in the coming months then I would be inclined to invest in that.

Thinking about it though, you have 16GB of 2400Mhz RAM, can you not just add another 16GB of the same RAM? Highly unlikely you would run into any compatibility issues at that speed with that CPU. That should be less than $50 for such an upgrade.

Aug 12, 2022
I think for 13th gen you will be wanting DDR5, it's much more affordable now and readily available so it's unlikely you will buy RAM that is transferable to a new machine. In terms of your current machine, if your happy with the performance it's giving you then I would be reluctant to tell you to replace a working and reliable machine for the sake of having the latest hardware.

However you mention that you would in fact like to buy some better components in the near future. If that's in the coming months then I would be inclined to invest in that.

Thinking about it though, you have 16GB of 2400Mhz RAM, can you not just add another 16GB of the same RAM? Highly unlikely you would run into any compatibility issues at that speed with that CPU. That should be less than $50 for such an upgrade.

I think I will just be buying RAM , but I've check and the price difference between 2x8 2400 and 2x16 3600 is not much weirdly enough (At least in Canada). Also I saw a lot of people recommending to not buy 2 different set of ram so with all that, I'll probably go for 2x16 and sell my current set. As for the rest of the system, I think you're right, there is no real point of changing it if it work. The ram was the only real issue currently.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I think I will just be buying RAM , but I've check and the price difference between 2x8 2400 and 2x16 3600 is not much weirdly enough (At least in Canada). Also I saw a lot of people recommending to not buy 2 different set of ram so with all that, I'll probably go for 2x16 and sell my current set. As for the rest of the system, I think you're right, there is no real point of changing it if it work. The ram was the only real issue currently.
Buying a 2X16gb set is what to do if your just upgrading the memory.

Adding another set of what you have you run the risk of it not even working.

So currently I have

Core i5-8600K

Thanks
Max
If the machine does what you need and the only issue is ram then bump the ram.

Do make sure your not running unneeded background stuff using ram.

Some gaming but not often I player AAA. Mostly indie game.
Else I'm a programmer/ex Graphist, with some liking in game dev. So I often use Photoshop, Illustrator, Unity and Visual Studio (Often more than one instance) and sometime all of them at once (When I work in unity)
Again as i said if you are happy with your system no need to get a full on upgrade just get a new set of 32gb of ram and later when the next gen of hardware comes then maybe go for the newest i7/i9 or R7/R9 since multitasking and productivity is your thing.