Core i5 vs Phenom II X6

HexXxagon

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Hello every body.
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T and Intel Core i5 2310 Sandy Bridge have the same price (~170$ in my area) and this is the maximum price that I can pay. This AMD has two more cores and 0.3 GHz more frequency than that intel; but that Intel is a sandy bridge and is 40% faster than an equivalent core i5 as I've heard.

Can some body give me a help with this decision? :sarcastic: Please note that wattage difference and most other things do not matter to me so just tell me which is faster.
Thanks.

expatCanuck

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
The i5-2310 isn't on Anand's benchmarks, but what I *can* tell you is that, for almost every task, the i5-2400 bests the Phenom.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/146?vs=363

FWIW, after much reading, I just upgraded my CPU from an X2 Regor 250
to a 1090T -- but only because I could do it without needing a new board.

If I were building a new system today, I'd opt for the i5-2500K.
Nothing else comes close.

I've been a big AMD fan for the past decade based on value, but currently
AMD just doesn't have anything to touch that Intel chip. It's better in efficiency,
computing power and bang for the buck.

expatCanuck

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007

I saw the i5-2500K on sale at my local microcenter this weekend for (I believe) $165.
If you can find one for that price (or even $175), it's really no contest.

Oh -- BTW -- regarding the AM3+ -- upgrade to what, exactly? ;)

Chances are he doesn't live near your local microcenter :p

its not, the OP is saying they can get both the i5-2310 and the phenom 1090T for the same price of $170...

next time please bother reading the thread maybe?

LOL what, maybe you should read the thread. (hint: I wasn't referring to the OP)

mrfaces

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
"LOL what, maybe you should read the thread. (hint: I wasn't referring to the OP)"

He can get both CPU's in his local area at the same price (~170$)
Where can you get a 1090T for $120?

expatCanuck

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
> Chances are he doesn't live near your local microcenter

Someone's cranky.

No, the OP probably doesn't live by my local Microcenter. That's not the point.

The point I was making (which a more astute reader might perceive) is that prices
are very fluid, and a conscientious shopper can maximize value
by taking advantage of sales which come & go. [NextTag, anyone?]

Just for kicks, let me add fuel to the fire. Here's a comparison of the 2310 & 1090T:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-2310+%40+2.90GHz

All that said -- I'll offer this to the OP -- if I was building now, I wouldn't buy either
of these CPUs -- I'd opt for the i5-2500K, waiting, saving and/or tweaking my budget
as need be.

- Richard

expatCanuck

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007

In which case, you just might care about power consumption.

All other things being equal (and they never are), a CPU that runs at a lower voltage
will require less cooling, which means slower / fewer fans, which means less noise.

If I was building a DAW and it ran my software adequately,
I'd surely opt for a 65w i3-2100 over a 125w X6.

expatCanuck

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007

I would put more stock in the AnandTech comparisons.
Much more thorough. The PassMark is but one test
(or one suite of tests). Indicative, but not definitive.

And the 2310 consumes 3/4 the power.

So, between those two, I'd opt for the 2310, assuming
that you can build the rest of the system for a comparable
price.

IF your buying a $220 cpu most people are not.

They are about the same speed. Your not going to notice much of a difference.

The 1090 uses more power under load, but I doubt you would notice the difference. AMD motherboards are usually less expensive so you may pay less overall, but the price difference is not huge. AMD boards also typically have better cpu updatability down the line, if that matters to you.

I would go x6 1090. I like supporting the underdog. AMD needs the money more than intel right now. And competition keeps cpu prices down.

I'm shocked I have to come here and explain what should be blatantly obvious.

Let me spell it out for you - even though you must have read it since you're even quoting it. I was not referring to the OP. I was referring to the previous post mentioning "I'd opt for the i5-2500K.
Nothing else comes close." It is 50 bucks more expensive. Savvy? :D

Please, you don't have to demean my reading skills. Perhaps you didn't notice the smiley :whistle:

what? your telling the OP to go for the worse processor because 'AMD need the money right now'?

No, I am telling you that you have reading comprehension issues, as I clearly placed the two on par with each other. And they are.

IF your buying a $220 cpu most people are not.

are you feeling OK? please look at 2500K sales figures, infact just look at the new build section of the forum, the 2500K is by far the best selling and best value performance processor out there today!

No its not the best selling processor. Not even close. What do base this on? Post on a forum? Really? Really? Thats how YOU calculate sales?

Most people don't buy processors in that price range.

and then theres the i5-2300/2400 and 2500, if your not planning on overclocking, they are still fantastic value processors!

[EDIT]: currently i would reccommend anyone going with AMD to go for an AM3+ board, which if you've noticed go for the same/higher price than LGA1155 boards.

No, boards of the same caliber are slightly more expensive on the intel side.

Next time, post when your sober.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Golly, looks like the guy's in Iran. I'd really want to know what motherboards he has available since really for a DAW, how much processing power do you need? I'd be more concerned about the other components.

HexXxagon

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Nice combat!
Yes. I'm in Iran. I've got lots of choices for motherboards. Specially Asus ,MSI and Gigabyte offer good and cost benefit stuffs.
Since I'm on a limited budget I'm gonna buy one of the two mentioned cpus , a motherboard between 100 and 150$, say a MSI-880gm-e41 or Asus-M4A 88T-m or Gigabyte-880gm-usb3, 2Gigs of high speed ram like 2000 or 1866, no graphic cards and something like an AOC 20" LED. I own professional studio gear like M-Audio fast track pro, Beyerdynamic DT990pro and a midi keyboard.
Now please tell me what the concern can be.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Well, then I personally think the Intel chip is just an overall better CPU especially if you are going to go with integrated graphics and if power is pricey. Personally, I'd stick with an Asus or Gigabyte board.

chinoroy

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
for music production/recording. more cores is better. why? because more cores will be useful and will handle low buffer sizes/low latencies even at the LOWEST on daily use. even if you ReWire 2 or 3 programs at the same time with lowest buffer size. but of course you will need to have an audio interface also. and also more cores will handle more plugins/effects better. even if you load up lots of plugins, 6 cores will handle it easily. trust me. i have a home studio myself.

also make sure the DAW's your planning to use are multi-threaded to fully take advantage of the 6 cores. (ex: Cubase, Sonar or Pro Tools)

in comparison for this use, the i5 is faster, the Phenom X6 is stronger. although im planning to upgrade to a i5-2500K on my next build. well thats because i make music and play games too.

and yes buy an AM3+ motherboard for future upgrade. the Bulldozer will be out in a while. and then you can upgrade to 8-cores later.

chinoroy

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

dont go cheap on ram. buy at least a 2x2GB or 4x2GB of ram. dont buy single channel modules. always buy dual channel rams for better bandwidth.

In a multithreaded environment the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T is your best choice IF you can purchase an AM3+ motherboard, or an AM3 motherboard that will support AM3+ processors --- IF an upgrade path is important to you.

In pure GFLOPs, the Thuban wins, regardless of Anteltech propaganda.