[SOLVED] Core i7 10700 (10th Gen) Running at 2.9ghz (not 4.8ghz) with Turbo Boost on???

Jan 9, 2021
Hey guys!

I have an MSI Z490 board, and 10th Gen Core i7 10700, this one in fact:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B086MG1C7C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The processor is 2.9ghz, but can be 4.8ghz with Intel Turbo Boost. Checked the bios, it is enabled but processor speed showing in bios at 2.9ghz.

Checked in control panel/system and that is showing 2.9ghz as well.

I'd like to be seeing 4.8ghz :)

Any ideas on why this may be happening?

Solution
I think I found the solution...

CTRL+ALT+DELETE > Task Manager > Performance Tab

This shows CPU base speed (2.9) and also shows 'live' speed. Play a vide or do something on the PC, and if the speed goes above the base speed then the boost is active.

My guess is that bios will only show the base speed, not the possible boost speed, and likewise 'control panel > System and Security > View Amount of RAM and processor' option only shows base speed too.

Hopefully others with more knowledge than me will confirm this...
Jan 9, 2021
I think I found the solution...

CTRL+ALT+DELETE > Task Manager > Performance Tab

This shows CPU base speed (2.9) and also shows 'live' speed. Play a vide or do something on the PC, and if the speed goes above the base speed then the boost is active.

My guess is that bios will only show the base speed, not the possible boost speed, and likewise 'control panel > System and Security > View Amount of RAM and processor' option only shows base speed too.

Hopefully others with more knowledge than me will confirm this...

Solution