[SOLVED] core i7 3770 & 15 3470 HSF compatibility

smtrejo

Honorable
Apr 11, 2017
Good day!!!

I own a HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF with an Intel core i5 3470. I'm on a budget and I have the opportunity to upgrade the CPU to a Core i7 3770.

Is the current HSF (heatsink and fan) compatible with the Core i7 3770?

I've seen that there's a "round" shaped heatsink compatible with both cpu's, but mine is the "square" shaped version.

I've also read this post but my question is "inverse":
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/stock-hsf-from-i7-3770-to-i5-3470-processor.1443992/

Thanks in advance

Solution
It should be fine. Even if it isn't, like I said, it won't overheat. The CPU will throttle itself if it is in danger of overheating. About the only thing that can damage CPUs are too much voltage, no heatsink at all, motherboard/PSU failure (lightning strikes, I suppose).

Basically their economy of scale makes sense to use the same cooler for a given platform. Easier to assemble, screw lengths all the same, etc. Not going to run out of one size cooler over another.

Intel releases their CPUs with CPU coolers of different thickness, reducing the height the lower the power. Since each model is sold separately the assembly only needs to happen at the factory making the coolers. Changing the line every few days isn't too hard and you have...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It should be fine. Even if it isn't, like I said, it won't overheat. The CPU will throttle itself if it is in danger of overheating. About the only thing that can damage CPUs are too much voltage, no heatsink at all, motherboard/PSU failure (lightning strikes, I suppose).

Basically their economy of scale makes sense to use the same cooler for a given platform. Easier to assemble, screw lengths all the same, etc. Not going to run out of one size cooler over another.

Intel releases their CPUs with CPU coolers of different thickness, reducing the height the lower the power. Since each model is sold separately the assembly only needs to happen at the factory making the coolers. Changing the line every few days isn't too hard and you have a 1:1 cooler to chip ratio.

Reactions: smtrejo
Solution

TRENDING THREADS