[SOLVED] Core i7 3770 has a temperature of about 70C - 80C (Opening opera, discord, spotify) is it still safe to use ??

Aug 6, 2020
I have a problem with my new computer (5 months). I'm using a core (My Spec is privacy) and a stock processor fan cooler. When the computer is just turned on, the temperature will range from 50C - 60C. and after opening several programs such as discord, spotify, and opera the temperature rises to 70C - 75C. Previously, I have used OCCT to test OverClock (Turbo mode is active in the BIOS). The result is that the temperature rises to 100C - 104C and the CPU percentage in the task manager gradually decreases (but the CPU is still running smoothly and there are no bad symptoms). I have also checked the temperature by touching the casing back of the motherboard with my hands while overclocking and as a result, I don't feel any overheat (this heat is just like 25C - 33C). Is my CPU still safe to use or should I replace the thermal paste (thermal paste is 5 months old) ?? Additional: I use 2 fan casings.

Last edited:
Solution
I have a problem with my new computer (5 months). I'm using a core i7 3770, 8gb ram, GTX 1050 TI, and a stock processor fan cooler. When the computer is just turned on, the temperature will range from 50C - 60C.
Ok. That seems high, but makes sense if it's the stock cooler and you have only 1 or 2 chassis fans running.

and after opening several programs such as discord, spotify, and opera the temperature rises to 70C - 75C.
Ok. That's fair.

I have used OCCT to test OverClock (Turbo mode is active in the BIOS). The result is that the temperature rises to 100C - 104C and the CPU percentage in the task manager gradually decreases (but the CPU is still running smoothly and there are no bad symptoms).
Just WHY?!
You...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I have a problem with my new computer (5 months). I'm using a core i7 3770, 8gb ram, GTX 1050 TI, and a stock processor fan cooler. When the computer is just turned on, the temperature will range from 50C - 60C.
Ok. That seems high, but makes sense if it's the stock cooler and you have only 1 or 2 chassis fans running.

and after opening several programs such as discord, spotify, and opera the temperature rises to 70C - 75C.
Ok. That's fair.

I have used OCCT to test OverClock (Turbo mode is active in the BIOS). The result is that the temperature rises to 100C - 104C and the CPU percentage in the task manager gradually decreases (but the CPU is still running smoothly and there are no bad symptoms).
Just WHY?!
You were fine until I got to this. You don't have the cooling to be tinkering with that. Stop it.

I have also checked the temperature by touching the casing back of the motherboard with my hands while overclocking and as a result, I don't feel any overheat (this heat is just like 25C - 33C).
That's means naught. Revert those changes you made back to stock.

... should I replace the thermal paste (thermal paste is 5 months old)...
Thermal paste's role is that of a bridge, not actual cooling. The heatsink and fans are the ones doing the real work.
The only times paste reduces temps drastically is:
-it wasn't applied correctly
-it dried up - usually takes a few years
The heatsink and fan can't do their work properly if the bridge isn't stable.

All that's really wrong here is(you) pushing a cpu with inadequate cooling. You don't run a hard stress test with a crappy stock cooler and just 1 or 2 chassis fans...

Solution
Aug 6, 2020
Just WHY?!
You were fine until I got to this. You don't have the cooling to be tinkering with that. Stop it.
I'm really sorry for this. I just want to find out if my CPU is really okay or not. not to destroy it
That's means naught. Revert those changes you made back to stock.
I never scrambled my hardware stack since the start of assembly.
Thermal paste's role is that of a bridge, not actual cooling. The heatsink and fans are the ones doing the real work.
The only times paste reduces temps drastically is:
-it wasn't applied correctly
-it dried up - usually takes a few years
The heatsink and fan can't do their work properly if the bridge isn't stable.
Okay, that means I don't need to add more thermal paste. this means I only need to upgrade my fan.
All that's really wrong here is(you) pushing a cpu with inadequate cooling. You don't run a hard stress test with a crappy stock cooler and just 1 or 2 chassis fans...
OK, I got it. Next time I won't. I'm just curious about the temperature suddenly rising dramatically on my CPU. Honestly, yesterday I also used Intel's PDT to check if my processor is okay. And the results are good (all tests passed). I think an external fan will help my processor cool down. Thank you for helping me figure this out and thank you for the advice!

Oh yes, one more question. With specifications like this, do I have to turn off the turbo mode to keep my processor cool ??

wong93

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
I have a problem with my new computer (5 months). I'm using a core i7 3770, 8gb ram, GTX 1050 TI, and a stock processor fan cooler. When the computer is just turned on, the temperature will range from 50C - 60C. and after opening several programs such as discord, spotify, and opera the temperature rises to 70C - 75C. Previously, I have used OCCT to test OverClock (Turbo mode is active in the BIOS). The result is that the temperature rises to 100C - 104C and the CPU percentage in the task manager gradually decreases (but the CPU is still running smoothly and there are no bad symptoms). I have also checked the temperature by touching the casing back of the motherboard with my hands while overclocking and as a result, I don't feel any overheat (this heat is just like 25C - 33C). Is my CPU still safe to use or should I replace the thermal paste (thermal paste is 5 months old) ?? Additional: I use 2 fan casings.

It seems ok, you might be overthinking a bit, just do the following and you will be good:

1. Make sure thermal paste is properly applied , make sure its a good brand as well
  2. Change to 3rd party cooler like Cooler Master etc.

Reactions: Wahit Fitriyanto

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Oh yes, one more question. With specifications like this, do I have to turn off the turbo mode to keep my processor cool ??
Negative. Normally, the cpu will boost up and down depending on the number of active threads, keeping power consumption and thermals in check.
Fixing frequency, or raising BCLK will accomplish the opposite.

The thermals you're experiencing are ok and expected. You just don't have the cooling to really jump into stress testing and base clock overclocking currently.

Aug 6, 2020
It seems ok, you might be overthinking a bit, just do the following and you will be good:

1. Make sure thermal paste is properly applied , make sure its a good brand as well
  2. Change to 3rd party cooler like Cooler Master etc.
Honestly, I wanted to buy a better fan processor but I was running out of funds. That's why I keep using the default fan. But I will still upgrade if I have some more funds. Thank you for the advice!

Aug 6, 2020
The thermals you're experiencing are ok and expected. You just don't have the cooling to really jump into stress testing and base clock overclocking currently.
Alright then. means there is nothing wrong with my cpu. only the fan is less supportive. Oh yeah, sometimes my CPU temperature also reaches above 90C after a full day of use. Is this condition still normal?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, that's normal, with your current situation.
The air from your PC does eventually make it's way out and into your room, slowly warming it up without some form of cooling itself. That'll go back into your PC, and... it's one big circle.

90C isn't great at all, especially if it's sitting at that temperature.
Windows Search > Power and Sleep Settings > Additional power settings.
Select Balanced, if it's not already, then click on Change plan settings.
Click on Change Advanced Power Settings, go to Processor Power Management > Maximum power state, and change it to 99%, Apply and exit.
Do what you normally do and see how hot it gets; we'd like for you to get the cpu's max operating temp to 85C or lower.
If, after your usual tasks, it's still above 85C, change the Max power state again - this time to 97%. If that doesn't work, then 95%.

Aug 6, 2020
90C isn't great at all, especially if it's sitting at that temperature.
Windows Search > Power and Sleep Settings > Additional power settings.
Select Balanced, if it's not already, then click on Change plan settings.
Click on Change Advanced Power Settings, go to Processor Power Management > Maximum power state, and change it to 99%, Apply and exit.
Do what you normally do and see how hot it gets; we'd like for you to get the cpu's max operating temp to 85C or lower.
If, after your usual tasks, it's still above 85C, change the Max power state again - this time to 97%. If that doesn't work, then 95%.
I have followed according to the example as above but I still get an abnormal temperature. I set the current maximum power state to 95%. I use it for 1 hour and this is the result: https://ibb.co/56gRnF3. any other suggestions ??

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Let's backtrack a bit to the cooler mount. Those push-pin coolers are easy to screw up. Did you secure 2 pins at a time, diagonally? They must produce an audible CLICK, otherwise, it's not fully seated. Then you do the same for the other 2 pins, CLICK.
If not, I suggest you give it another go. Remove the old paste with alcohol and a disposable wipe, dry/let dry, apply a little in the middle, and the cooler's mounting pressure will do the rest.

If still no dice:
Well, you're just going to have to disable Turbo Boost until you can resolve the cooling problem.

Aug 6, 2020
Hello again. I just wanted to let you know that this problem has been resolved. I don't know what caused the excessive overheating before. But now my CPU isnt overheating like before (now the heat is only around 35C - 45 C). I don't know what the problem is but when I checked the thermal paste in the processor, I found that the processor and fan were very dusty. I just cleaned it and then I put the fan back in place. Apart from that, I also activate the stabilizer in my house. After that, I restarted my computer and my processor temperature was no longer overheating. Thank god, I am very grateful and happy because my CPU is not tortured anymore. Hopefully with this, I hope people who have the same problem as me can be resolved. Thanks to Phaaze88 and my friend for helping me and suggesting a few things to solve this problem. Thanks also to wong93 for the advice to me. As well as the tomshardware forum (along with its staff) which has allowed me to post this problem so that this problem is resolved. And sorry for my bad English :)

Last edited: