core i7 4790k with asus maximus vii ranger best overclock

nebalsad

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
Hii
My name is nebal i am from syria and my work videos edting (3ds max.Maya..Photoshop..zpruch..and high games like(metro assassin's creed the evil within.. .coul of duty 4...etc)
I am moved form core I7 3770 with non k ..msi z68gd 45
I am update the bios and obs it's die for ever ....
I am searching for any Motherboard lga socket 1156 but no way just z61 or gigabytes h75 soo bad..
For that I am moved to
this is pc from some day :
Motherboard: Asus maximus vii ranger with the last bios update
Cpu : core i7 4790k
Coler: ama phantom
Gpu: Asus gfs 680 4g oc
Power :fsp group 900 wat plus 80
Ssd: plaxtor pro 128 gb
Hdd: Samsung 1 terabytes
My screan 720p..
I know it's not the best for vedio editing but it's the best pc have u in Syria cuz it's too high price and
The military and political situation is very difficult...
My problem with overclocking
In my bios I have 3 options
1- auto..2- manual..3- xmp
I choice xmp cuz it's easy to overclocking and bouch my cpu to 4.6 gh by 102x45 and it's stable
But I Need More ...
I tray to increase to 47 and 102 to 100
100x47=4700gh ok
It's work and stable in all of benchmark pro and the cinbenchmark 15 score is 915
The temperature in some of cores 96 to 99 in maximum and the average 85 to 90 cus I don't have water coler
And the v is 1.35 in cpu z .. in the bios it's auto v ..
Buttt when I am rendering in 3ds max it's crash and appear blue screen and restart my pc
I am trying to choice manual and choice 1.35 or higher to 1.45 but that it's soo bad and faster crash..
What's the problem ?
Is my motherboard soo bad?
Or my cpu?
Is that any way to overclocking to 4.7 or 4.8gh or higher with stable in all programs
Please help me
sorry for my bad language

Solution
That CPU is a beast at stock speed. Why do you need to overclock it anyway? I strongly suggest not to mess with the base clock because that can make the rest of your system unstable. Your overclocks look like they are unstable and your CPU is running far too hot at 4.7GHz. I would say keep it at 4.6GHz and keep testing until you find the lowest stable core voltage. Also I have to say that your system is WAY overkill for gaming at 720p and that you shouldn't have upgraded your CPU so soon. The Core i7 3770 is still a very good processor.
That CPU is a beast at stock speed. Why do you need to overclock it anyway? I strongly suggest not to mess with the base clock because that can make the rest of your system unstable. Your overclocks look like they are unstable and your CPU is running far too hot at 4.7GHz. I would say keep it at 4.6GHz and keep testing until you find the lowest stable core voltage. Also I have to say that your system is WAY overkill for gaming at 720p and that you shouldn't have upgraded your CPU so soon. The Core i7 3770 is still a very good processor.

Solution

nebalsad

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014

Thnx..
Yes for games it's overkill but I need more speed for vedio editing
I noticed there is a big difference between 4.4 or 4.6 or 4.7 in benchmark like cinbenchmark 15 or 3d Mark vantage 11
Is that any way to overclocking 4.7.. or not
Look for this report how get that
http://pcdiy.asus.com/2014/06/6-4970k-cpus-overclocked-oc-impressions-of-devils-canyon-on-asus-z97-motherboards/
And the hight temperature can damage my pc?
And if I bye scream full hd can my pc run games with Smoothly?
the last question I know we must 6 core cpu for vedio editing but is my pc bad for video editing?

nebalsad

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
This means that I will cut off the hope for 4.7gh?
But this cpu core i7 4790k with k
And the mother board excellently supports overclock
How can limited overclocking in this cpu?
.. and please answer me for anther question

It looks like you're hitting a thermal wall and I wouldn't advise you to overclock any further until you get better cooling. Overclocking really won't do much good for video editing anyway. You might at most shave a few seconds off of your encoding time. It's the processors with more cores like the 6 core 4930K or the 8 core 5960X that help the most with video editing.

handbrake.png

Is your CPU capable of that high of an overclock Yes, but you have to have the CPU cooling to support it and you do not!

Overclocking increases CPU heat output and how high you can overclock the CPU is directly dependent on the CPU cooling as air cooling and traditional water cooling will only cool enough to get you so far, once high CPU temperatures are reached the CPU begins throttling itself to protect itself and your computing performance begins dropping.

The link below is to an overclocking study where they tested the overclock capability of a 4790K the very CPU you own, with various types of cooling, look it over to see how far they got with each type of cooling so you can understand that no BIOS settings can get you past thermal limitations.

http://lab501.net/intel-core-i7-4790k-intel-pentium-g3258-overclocking-study/

nebalsad

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
4rayn6
Thanx so much 4rayn6
Now I am understand what u mean
And I.'ll bye water coler if when I can
But is my pc bad for vedio editing?
And if I bye scream full hd can my pc run games with Smoothly

Your CPU should not have any problems doing what you need at stock, unless it is getting too hot and throttling on a regular basis.

What temperatures does your CPU reach at stock speed?

What kind of room temperatures during the day do you have in Syria?

Do you have air conditioning, or fans, for personal cooling?

nebalsad

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
4Ryan6
In stock not to hot between 40 to 78
And in 4.6 it's 78 to 85 in some cores and no any problems yet in benchmark pro and rendering
In syria today is sooo cold 22 to 6 c
No condition it's sooo cold today
At 4.7 in 1.35 v it's very hot above 90

Why do you feel you need to overclock your stock temperatures are great?
You really don't have to!
The overclock is really adding heat, I suggest if you are determined to overclock stay below 80c load for CPU longevity, so either get better cooling or stay below 4.7ghz.

nebalsad

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
In the fact I love overclocking and I am bye the Asus ranger with core i7 4790k to overclocking and have best work with vedio edting cus in Syria we don't have socket 2011

Any new desktop Core i7 is great for video editing but the ones with more than 4 cores are ideal. You already have the best CPU you can get if you can't get a socket 2011 motherboard.