HSSaran

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014
Hello guys
I have a HP Pavilion Power 15 with the following specs
Core i7 7700HQ 2.8 Ghz 3.2 Turbo
GTX 1050 4GB
8GB DDR4 RAM

Whenever I put load on the gpu while CPU utilization is around 30% my CPU Clocks plummet down to 2.3Ghz-2.7Ghz

intel XTU says that the CPU is Current Limit throttling ,I know that it is somewhat how related to PLL states and the Voltage Controller Chip on the MB but wherever I looked I couldn't find a Solution that works
If you know anything about this and the ways to solve it I would be eternally thankful to you if you decide to share it with me

Wish you all a great Weekend

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

I don't think you can solve that. The reason its doing that is so your not drawing too much power, so it has to down clock the CPU so there is enough voltage left to run the GPU.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Can you post a screenshot of XTU saying your current limit throttling?

If you're at low-ish CPU load (i.e. 30%), it may just be dropping down to a lower P state or something. Try to run a CPU load in the background to get it to 100% usage and see what the frequency does.

I can't see why a GPU load would cause the CPU to throttle. The current limit only applies to the CPU, the current drawn by the GPU shouldn't count towards it.

HSSaran

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014

my friend has an Acer Nitro 5 with the exact same Specs even with the same wattage provided by his Power brick(135W) yet he doesn't have this problem so I don't think it is related to PowerDraw

@TJ Hooker
I currently do not have access to the Computer , the 30% load is while I'm playing PUBG , It affects the Single Thread performance really bad therefore halving my fps from 70 to 40

HSSaran

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014

https://ibb.co/b0ifo8 here is the screen shot

Thank you for your time

HSSaran

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014

Thank you for your reply, Yeah It happens only when the GPU is under load,So the XTU stress test doesn't trigger the Current limit Throttling when GPU is inactive,and yeah It doesn't matter whether It is connected to AC or not,It happens on both scenarios

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

What is the output on the AC power adapter? Also, is it a 1050 MaxQ or is it just a normal soldered on 1050 die. It may be that the system pulls more power under full load, CPU and GPU, that the charger doesn't supply enough and therefore it limits power draw even when on AC power.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Huh, I'm not sure then. It's possible there's some sort of system wide power limit as @jacobweaver800 suggested. This would be a device specific limit set by the manufacturer, which could explain why your friend's laptop with the same specs doesn't experience this.

You could try looking around for options to increase current limit, or undervolting to reduce power consumption, either in the BIOS or XTU. You could also try contacting HP support.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

I believe ASUS did something similar with one of there laptops, there may be a software installed on the laptop that lets you access settings like changing fan speed and such from Windows, ASUS had it that you could change the power limits and stuff in there which let LTT overclock it to 5ghz on a 6 core laptop CPU with 2 "Blowie Matrons" replacing the stock fans.

douglasf01

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I have this same exact laptop and I have undervolted it, increased the turbo boost voltage, am running TG conductonaut, a laptop cooler, and still have this issue.

I am absolutely convinced its HP that set these limits.

You cant change anything in the bios with this laptop either.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts