Core i7 7770K Kaby Lake?

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
I'm waiting for the next generation of Core i7 processors to go along with my new gaming PC.

Currently I'm using a Core i7 3770K Ivy Bridge, and when I upgrade to the 7770K, in percentages, how much more performance should I see?

Solution
No way it'll be 10% better than skylake when it's a skylake refresh. We've hardly seen a 3% increase each gen from hw to bw and bw to sl and that's ipc not in gaming. Ib still holds it's own in gaming so you are likely to see no difference if it is oced.

Dx12 support for ib is about the igpu. If you have a dgpu then it doesn't matter and since this is an i7 wielding gaming pc, I'm pretty sure they do.
At this time, I would actually expect maybe up to another 10% at most over the current line of Sky Lake in some scenarios, do you feel skylake is a huge leap over what you have already if the answer is no... I'd go ahead and overclock and wait for another upgrade to come, unless you have a lot of interest in the features dx12 has including the cpu in some processing... which apparently isnt supported by ivy bridge as we all seem to have.

No way it'll be 10% better than skylake when it's a skylake refresh. We've hardly seen a 3% increase each gen from hw to bw and bw to sl and that's ipc not in gaming. Ib still holds it's own in gaming so you are likely to see no difference if it is oced.

Dx12 support for ib is about the igpu. If you have a dgpu then it doesn't matter and since this is an i7 wielding gaming pc, I'm pretty sure they do.

Solution
I expect that it will be roughly 35% faster than your Ivy Bridge i7. I went from a 2700k to an i7 6700k and got around a 30% increase in performance, and a significant improvement in temps, and it is typically a 10% performance improvement every generation of chips.
It will likely be something like 5% faster than Skylake with better temperatures and voltages.

While I fully agree, you know that is the picture they will paint.

How much more performance? IRRESPONSIBLE AMOUNTS OF PERFORMANCE.

TRENDING THREADS