[SOLVED] Core i7 950 Running Slow

sinjinn

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
So I've got a Core i7 950, in Windows system information it's listed as "Core i7 950 @ 3.07Ghz", the problem is it's only actually running at 1.86Ghz and I've no idea why. I've never mssed with overclocking, but from the CPU-Z screenshots I've been able to find of other Core i7 950's the multiplier on mine is much lower than what looks normal. I don't want to just go messing with settings though with no clue what I'm doing so thought I'd ask here first. https://imgur.com/onxnOss that's my CPU-Z, the multiplier is x15 most of the other ones I saw were x20+ and you can see mine's only running at 1998.46 Mhz.

If anyone is familiar with this kind of thing, I'd love some help.

Solution
Hey Jay,

It was running at 1.86 always. Checked idle, during benchmark, under load using GIS software. Checked with CPU-Z, Easy Tune 6 and Open Hardware Monitor.
I seem to have got it fixed though after some help from a discord server. Speedstep seemed to have gotten "stuck", disabled C1 and speedstep in bios, rebooted and it was fixed. Went back in and re-enabled C1 and rebooted, still fixed and then turned speedstep back onto auto and rebooted with it still being fixed about an hour later so far but I'll keep monitoring it. After getting into the bios the multiplier was already set to x23 and the bios showed the clock at 3+ghz as it should have been. It was someone in the discord who had previously seen speedstep get stuck and made...

sinjinn

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Hey Jay,

It was running at 1.86 always. Checked idle, during benchmark, under load using GIS software. Checked with CPU-Z, Easy Tune 6 and Open Hardware Monitor.
I seem to have got it fixed though after some help from a discord server. Speedstep seemed to have gotten "stuck", disabled C1 and speedstep in bios, rebooted and it was fixed. Went back in and re-enabled C1 and rebooted, still fixed and then turned speedstep back onto auto and rebooted with it still being fixed about an hour later so far but I'll keep monitoring it. After getting into the bios the multiplier was already set to x23 and the bios showed the clock at 3+ghz as it should have been. It was someone in the discord who had previously seen speedstep get stuck and made the suggestion.

Posting the solution that worked for me in case anyone else runs into the issue.

Solution