Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Hello, i recently built my system, here are the specs
Msi rtx 2080
Core i7 9700 k
32 gb trident z rbg ddr4
Msi z390 gaming pro carbon
My case is a cougar panzer evo rbg tempured glass which includes 4 rbg fans
My cpu cooler is a cougar helor 360 water cooling loop.
Story is when i run prime 95 for a max stress test, im getting cpu temps of 88-95 , which is horrendous, now i put thermal past on my cpu and i took the pump off the cpu to see how well it spread, it looked good, the fans i had to mount to the top of the case but the radiator is right below... I also idle at 32 degrees C, I dont understand my temps, and id really appreciate your help guys...any suggestions ?

Oh and another question, my case fans are set too 100 % however my msi rtx 2080 never goes above 72 C in kombuster...can the case fans effect my cpu temp if there is a water cooling systen installed ?

Solution
Not quite. Look more closely.

When you start Prime95, the "Run a Torture Test" Window appears.

At the bottom you'll see where AVX-512 is greyed out, because your CPU doesn't have that Instruction Set.

You'll also see that you can click on the AVX2 box, which will in turn light up the AVX box that will allow you to then click on it, so that you now have a check in each box for AVX2 and AVX.

At this point, all 3 boxes (AVX-512, AVX2, AVX) should have checks, which means all AVX test selections have been disabled.

Once you've reached this point, select Small FFT's and run it for 10 minutes. This will give you a valid 100% workload which has steady Core temperatures.

If you never ran Prime95 Small FFT's with...
May 4, 2019
The stress test temp is normal if you are running the p95 small fft test that uses avx2. That version of the test is considered an overload for the cpu. Try searching the forum, as you are certainly not the first with this issue.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
... Core i7 9700 k ... cougar helor 360 water cooling loop ... when i run prime 95 ... temps of 88-95 ... idle at 32 ...
• Which version of Prime95?
• Which torture test?
• At what ambient (room) temperature?
... if you are running the p95 small fft test that uses avx2. That version of the test is considered an overload for the cpu. Try searching the forum, as you are certainly not the first with this issue.
AVX, AVX2 and AVX-512 can all be disabled in Prime95's latest version 29.8:

• Prime95 v29.8 - https://www.mersenne.org/download/

As per Intel’s Datasheets, TDP and Thermal Specifications are validated “without AVX.

See page 87 - Section 5.1.1 - Thermal Considerations, 1st paragraph, 2nd sentence: 8th and 9th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Families Datasheet, Volume 1 - https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...core/8th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-1.html

Many Members overlook the Stickies at the top of our Forums. Here's one at the top of the CPUs Forum: Intel Temperature Guide - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/

See Section 11 - Thermal Test Basics

... can the case fans effect my cpu temp if there is a water cooling system installed ? ...
Yes. All coolers, whether air or liquid, are all AIR COOLED, so case fans matter.

Front mounted liquid coolers intake cool air from the room, which allows the CPU to run at the lowest possible temperatures. However, the radiator exhaust heat into the case, which increases the operating temperatures of all devices such as the graphics card, motherboard, voltage regulators, SSD and HDD.

Top mounted liquid coolers intake warm air from the case, which prevents the CPU from running at the lowest possible temperatures. However, the radiator exhaust warm air from the case, which decreases the operating temperatures of all devices such as the graphics card, motherboard, voltage regulators, SSD and HDD.

If your Cougar Panzer EVO supports either a front or top mounted 360 radiator, then it's a matter of deciding whether your CPU or GPU is in greater need of benefitting from a front or top mount radiator configuration.

CT :sol:

hrissker

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
• Which version of Prime95?
• Which torture test?
• At what ambient (room) temperature?

AVX, AVX2 and AVX-512 can all be disabled in Prime95's latest version 29.8:

• Prime95 v29.8 - https://www.mersenne.org/download/

As per Intel’s Datasheets, TDP and Thermal Specifications are validated “without AVX.

See page 87 - Section 5.1.1 - Thermal Considerations, 1st paragraph, 2nd sentence: 8th and 9th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Families Datasheet, Volume 1 - https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...core/8th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-1.html

Many Members overlook the Stickies at the top of our Forums. Here's one at the top of the CPUs Forum: Intel Temperature Guide - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/

See Section 11 - Thermal Test Basics

Yes. All coolers, whether air or liquid, are all AIR COOLED, so case fans matter.

Front mounted liquid coolers intake cool air from the room, which allows the CPU to run at the lowest possible temperatures. However, the radiator exhaust heat into the case, which increases the operating temperatures of all devices such as the graphics card, motherboard, voltage regulators, SSD and HDD.

Top mounted liquid coolers intake warm air from the case, which prevents the CPU from running at the lowest possible temperatures. However, the radiator exhaust warm air from the case, which decreases the operating temperatures of all devices such as the graphics card, motherboard, voltage regulators, SSD and HDD.

If your Cougar Panzer EVO supports either a front or top mounted 360 radiator, then it's a matter of deciding whether your CPU or GPU is in greater need of benefitting from a front or top mount radiator configuration.

Hey, so my prime 95 is the latest version, the stress test i use is the small FFT'S maximum power and heat test, i dont know how realistic this one is but it seems to be over the top ? And i would say my ambient room temp is about 75 degrees F

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Did you disable all AVX test selections?

If you did, then your power and thermal results are valid. If you didn't, then disable AVX2 and AVX and rerun the Small FFT's test. Since your 9700K doesn't have the AVX-512 Instruction Set, that selection will be greyed out.

A 10 minute test is enough time to reach thermal saturation, which affects leakage current and power consumption.

hrissker

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Did you disable all AVX test selections?

If you did, then your power and thermal results are valid. If you didn't, then disable AVX2 and AVX and rerun the Small FFT's test. Since your 9700K doesn't have the AVX-512 Instruction Set, that selection will be greyed out.

A 10 minute test is enough time to reach thermal saturation, which affects leakage current and power consumption.

I think i can only disable one at a time...then the rest of the section goes blank, i think disabling avx also disables the other

CompuTronix

Intel Master

At the bottom you'll see where AVX-512 is greyed out, because your CPU doesn't have that Instruction Set.

You'll also see that you can click on the AVX2 box, which will in turn light up the AVX box that will allow you to then click on it, so that you now have a check in each box for AVX2 and AVX.

At this point, all 3 boxes (AVX-512, AVX2, AVX) should have checks, which means all AVX test selections have been disabled.

Once you've reached this point, select Small FFT's and run it for 10 minutes. This will give you a valid 100% workload which has steady Core temperatures.

If you never ran Prime95 Small FFT's with all 3 AVX test selections disabled, then your workload could've been as high as 130%, which means your Core temperatures were unrealistically high, and your results were invalid.

Prime95 Small FFT's with all AVX test selections disabled conforms to Intel's datasheets as a valid 100% workload, so the results are most certainly realistic.

Solution

hrissker

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011

If you never ran Prime95 Small FFT's with all 3 AVX test selections disabled, then your workload could've been as high as 130%, which means your Core temperatures were unrealistically high, and your results were invalid.

Prime95 Small FFT's with all AVX test selections disabled conforms to Intel's datasheets as a valid 100% workload, so the results are most certainly realistic.

Thank you so much, individuals like you carry on this sites excellent reputation...