News Core i9-11900 Rocket Lake Flexes in CPU-Z Benchmark

howiejcee

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
Sigh, core count is the only reason I wouldn't upgrade to Rocket Lake from a 9700k.

I'd rather not spend ~$1,500 on a brand new mb, RAM, thermoelectric cooler (assuming someone will make one for it), and CPU itself for IPC gains primarily.

With 10 cores, maybe it'd be worth it.

"Sigh, core count is the only reason I wouldn't upgrade to Rocket Lake from a 9700k. "

It would or should be hard for most folks to find a 9700K, which matches /exceeds all Ryzen 3000 series CPUs in all gaming comparisons, to yet be considered even remotely 'in need of upgrade' just yet.... To jump from 150 fps in most games to 160 fps is rarely a 'must do now' scenario'

samopa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
Why would I want to upgrade new processor + new Mobo to something that still uses 14++++++nm, limited to only 8 core, and have single core performance less than previous gen processor, and possibly less than Zen3 ?
Who, with the right mind, will do such a thing ? And for what reason ?

lower clock speeds on rocket lake are an absolute guarantee.

if rocket lake's chip design was as great as intel has been trumpeting for the last 18 months they would have rushed it out the door. the reality is they're having difficulty clocking the design up, resulting in a net wash in performance with prior gen chip.

I doubt that Rocket Lake should clock higher than any generation period. But because they are backporting, that's causing loads of problems for Intel, hence why its taking so long to come out. 14nm can still clock stupidly high, it's the pure 10nm superfin stuff that can't really clock high at all.

InvalidError

Titan
Plenty of people have no foreseeable need for more than eight cores so "being limited to eight cores" is of no consequence. I will most likely upgrade my i5-3470 next year and the choice between the i5-11400 and Ryzen 5600 will boil down to system performance-per-dollar with my personal experience of never having had issues with Intel builds vs no-boot with Ryzen twice being the tie-breaker.

Reactions: panathas

jonRock1992

Commendable
Dec 21, 2020
Well that's not good. My 5800X with PBO, Curve Optimizer, and tuned memory at 2067MHz FCLK gets 680+ single-thread score and 6800+ multi-thread score. If I do an all-core OC my multi-core score gets even higher.

Nov 15, 2020
Why would I want to upgrade new processor + new Mobo to something that still uses 14++++++nm, limited to only 8 core, and have single core performance less than previous gen processor, and possibly less than Zen3 ?
It's a shame that fanboyism has caused your intelligence to be visually lacking. This engineering sample was on par with the 10900k(5.3ghz) at 17% lower clocks. The final product is going to have the fastest single threaded performance of any CPU in history by far. Also, it'll be supported on all existing 400 series motherboards.

Dec 29, 2020
In the most conservative projection, at the final freqs this will score 700 in CPUID single core. Closer to 800 most likely. That's impressive.