News Core i9-12900K AVX-512 Support Delivers Big Gains For PS3 Emulation

setx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
Unfortunately, @RPCS3 does not demonstrate emulation performance on the 12900K with the E cores enabled and AVX-512 disabled.
You obviously would get worse performance, and probably much worse if system scheduler puts anything useful on E cores.

Emulation was always extremely sensitive to performance of single thread and usually doesn't scale beyond several cores (as long as you are not doing something special like rendering graphics on CPU), so the E cores can only hurt the performance.

I had that emulator running on some older hardware, Intel's first ddr4 platform. Some games were amazing, but the god of war games were all a slideshow far below unplayable. I think it's great they chose such a tough game to run using this emulator.
I find it outstanding that the open source free software is able to implement that advanced instruction set in their freeware.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this is one of my reasons for building an 11900K rig, I wanted AVX512 which was introduced on the consumer lineup with 11th gen when no one else could comprehend why. Most people never took the time to look very hard into it, or chose to dismiss it outright just because fanboy. For some tasks, it was proven to be an order of magnitude faster long ago, as in 40-times faster in some workloads. And AVX512 isn't not going away. We'll see if it's used in Windows 11's Android support. Intel invests heavily into software, and is writing that emulation. So place your bets. With 11th gen, the longtime parity error and L0 bugs introduced with Skylake were finally resolved, and you got AVX512.

While there's still issues to be worked out on 12th gen, you get the best of every world on 11th gen. My 12900K is sitting here waiting for some DDR5. This 11900K is bug free, doesn't require disabling efficiency cores for games , and has AVX512. Not to mention a PC is more than a CPU. PCIE4.0 (something my Ryzen rigs enjoyed for years), or Z590's other I/O updates with adoption of Bluetooth 5.2/wifi6E, TB4/USB4.0, I say that 11th gen are the most derided and underrated CPU releases that I've seen in years.

Happy to see more software utilizing AVX512, and I'm still recommending CPUs that have this instruction set. Or at least people should be aware and not so dismissive of it.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this is one of my reasons for building an 11900K rig, I wanted AVX512 which was introduced on the consumer lineup with 11th gen when no one else could comprehend why. Most people never took the time to look very hard into it, or chose to dismiss it outright just because fanboy. For some tasks, it was proven to be an order of magnitude faster long ago, as in 40-times faster in some workloads. And AVX512 isn't not going away. We'll see if it's used in Windows 11's Android support. Intel invests heavily into software, and is writing that emulation. So place your bets. With 11th gen, the longtime parity error and L0 bugs introduced with Skylake were finally resolved, and you got AVX512.

While there's still issues to be worked out on 12th gen, you get the best of every world on 11th gen. My 12900K is sitting here waiting for some DDR5. This 11900K is bug free, doesn't require disabling efficiency cores for games , and has AVX512. Not to mention a PC is more than a CPU. PCIE4.0 (something my Ryzen rigs enjoyed for years), or Z590's other I/O updates with adoption of Bluetooth 5.2/wifi6E, TB4/USB4.0, I say that 11th gen are the most derided and underrated CPU releases that I've seen in years.

Happy to see more software utilizing AVX512, and I'm still recommending CPUs that have this instruction set. Or at least people should be aware and not so dismissive of it.

The problem with 11th gen wasn't the performance. It was extremely competitive and the AVX512 did help in limited scenarios. HOWEVER it generated a tremendous amount of heat and used a lot of power. The platform was also incredibly expensive making it's value proposition dubious.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
The problem with 11th gen wasn't the performance. It was extremely competitive and the AVX512 did help in limited scenarios. HOWEVER it generated a tremendous amount of heat and used a lot of power. The platform was also incredibly expensive making it's value proposition dubious.

Everything is expensive now. At least 12th gen is. With my 12th gen build I'm definitely spending more than I did on my 11th gen. That said, I do use mITX exclusively. Motherboards are cheaper on the AMD side. You can eliminate the heat/power by changing the default bios option (MCE) off like GN and other outlets did, but then the performance looks mediocre, or 'competitive' as you put it. An 11900K left in its stock configuration? Pretty much a beatdown and few realized it.
Cyberpunk 2077 1080P minimum frames
Cyberpunk 2077 4K minimum frames
Flight Simulator 2020 4K minimum frames

I don't experience any issues though, I'm idling 90% of the time. I want the fastest gaming rig I can get when I actually use it for gaming so the power/heat complaints never made much sense to me. Kind of a fanboy's argument every generation, whoever is faster and hotter gets attacked for that by those that only buy the opposing brand. When most people, IF they even use their PCs for anything other than browsing, are normally idling.

Good motherboards are expensive now, but I view things in opportunity cost as well. If bothering with a build I wanted Thunderbolt 4 / USB 4.0 or I would've stayed with my 5900X. Finally getting PCIE4 on one of my Intel rigs was also an attraction.

Last edited: