Question Core Performace Boost Enabled crashes games

Jul 6, 2021
Ive had my Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro for about 6 months, paired with a 5800x and corsair dominator "Ryzen enhanced (lmao)" ram.
Since owning it, warzone in particular gets the bluescreen of death at random intervals.
I uprgraded to the latest bios today, it auto enabled core performance boost and ran the final fantasy 15 benchmark...it crash restarted.
So i disbaled core performance boost and capped my speed to 4.4 ghz...everything fine again and running ALOT cooler.
I dont get it. I should be able to enable it.
It does also crash in other games when enabled.

Jul 6, 2021
what the cpu cooler?
what the cpu temp?
what the brand and model of the psu
Its a Castle 240ex
CPU only goes to about 81 degrees during cinebench and doesnt crash, tends to crash in a 3d application like a game. It has a turbo of 4.8ghz, if i set it to a manual 4.5ghz its crashes (so i stick at 4.4ghz)
The PSU is a superflower 750watt bronze and is 7 years old.........

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Its a Castle 240ex
CPU only goes to about 81 degrees during cinebench and doesnt crash, tends to crash in a 3d application like a game. It has a turbo of 4.8ghz, if i set it to a manual 4.5ghz its crashes (so i stick at 4.4ghz)
The PSU is a superflower 750watt bronze and is 7 years old.........

Replace that, in bold. Not even discussing the quality of unit, the age, on a 3080?

What case is this in? How do you have your cooler set up?
Drop a side panel, enable the stock level of PBO/CPB to allow the system to control parameters and see if the crashing stops. Quick guess is that if it does you have an airflow issue with the case or insufficient fans. If it crashes consider a new high level PSU.

Have you looked in event viewer for error 41?

Ive had my Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro for about 6 months, paired with a 5800x and corsair dominator "Ryzen enhanced (lmao)" ram.
Since owning it, warzone in particular gets the bluescreen of death at random intervals.
I uprgraded to the latest bios today, it auto enabled core performance boost and ran the final fantasy 15 benchmark...it crash restarted.
So i disbaled core performance boost and capped my speed to 4.4 ghz...everything fine again and running ALOT cooler.
I dont get it. I should be able to enable it.
It does also crash in other games when enabled.
It sounds like that 'core performance boost' setting is an 'automatic overclock' setting in the BIOS. They never perform well, usually exactly as you've experienced. So disabling it us usually the better choice. If you capped your speed to 4.4 Ghz then you gave up a lot of 5800X performance and it's just a crutch... it's better to find the real problem.

It should be stable with CPU clock speed set to AUTO and voltage set to AUTO. How is your temperature running? and what cooling do you use? For case too...fans in front and back. Poor case ventilation means a CPU air cooler is using the hot air from your GPU to cool the CPU...and usually can't.

Speaking of: what's the rest of your system spec's? GPU, PSU, CPU cooling in particular as well as case and fans.

Have you ever done a CMOS reset on your BIOS settings? if not, I'd definitely do that, especially since you just updated BIOS.

Are you running any XMP settings for your memory? you might try running with just default settings to see if the crashes go away.

Jul 6, 2021
Replace that, in bold. Not even discussing the quality of unit, the age, on a 3080?

What case is this in? How do you have your cooler set up?
Drop a side panel, enable the stock level of PBO/CPB to allow the system to control parameters and see if the crashing stops. Quick guess is that if it does you have an airflow issue with the case or insufficient fans. If it crashes consider a new high level PSU.

Have you looked in event viewer for error 41?

Its in a Corsair C70 Vengance case, you either enable CPB or disable, no auto options or anything like that.
The event viewer errors after googling result in thousands of threads talking about the new ryzen 5000 series, xmp profile compatibilities and other errors with this chipset / CPU.
Disabling CPB has stopped my games crashing, but i should be able to enable it, after all...ive paid for it.

I have two fans at the front of the case, bringing air in, a fan at the bottom of the case bringing air in, my 240mm cpu radiator on top of the case blowing air out and on at the back of the case blowing air out.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021
It sounds like that 'core performance boost' setting is an 'automatic overclock' setting in the BIOS. They never perform well, usually exactly as you've experienced. So disabling it us usually the better choice. If you capped your speed to 4.4 Ghz then you gave up a lot of 5800X performance and it's just a crutch... it's better to find the real problem.

It should be stable with CPU clock speed set to AUTO and voltage set to AUTO. How is your temperature running? and what cooling do you use? For case too...fans in front and back. Poor case ventilation means a CPU air cooler is using the hot air from your GPU to cool the CPU...and usually can't.

Speaking of: what's the rest of your system spec's? GPU, PSU, CPU cooling in particular as well as case and fans.

Have you ever done a CMOS reset on your BIOS settings? if not, I'd definitely do that, especially since you just updated BIOS.

Are you running any XMP settings for your memory? you might try running with just default settings to see if the crashes go away.

I have two fans at the front of the case, bringing air in, a fan at the bottom of the case bringing air in, my 240mm cpu radiator on top of the case blowing air out and on at the back of the case blowing air out.