Core temp readings are super low and some are far below ambient temp

ethanthepro

Commendable
Jan 11, 2018
I use an A8-7650K (yea bad CPU I know) but for some reason my core temps (reading from Core Temp) are between 2c and 15c at idle. I live in Australia and its HOT down here. This doesn't make sense.

Is someone able to explain why I'm being an idiot or if my CPU is damaged in some way?
I have had this issue since I first got this PC.

One other thing to note is that HWMonitor says I have a CPU package temp of between 60 and 90 it seems really unreliable. It bounces around far too much so I don't trust it.

=============================================================
Cooler: Stock air cooler
Case Fans: 2 corsair case fans decent airflow
GPU: 750ti OC Strix
CPU: A8-7650K
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3HP (rev. 1)
Case: Doesn't really matter
RAM: 16GB Generic DDR3-1600 (2x8)

ethanthepro

Commendable
Jan 11, 2018
Unfortunately AMD Overdrive returns the same problem. I should've said that Overdrive didn't help either.

The thermal margin jumps all the way up from 60 to 0 and back again. It seems to have no idea.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Are you getting strange fluctuations in your CPU's clock speed as well?

ethanthepro

Commendable
Jan 11, 2018

Yes I'm getting huge fluctuations. From 3.6GHz all the way down to about 1.7

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

It's very possible, then, that what you're seeing is temperature-related throttling and the HW Monitor temperatures *are* correct. I'd reapply thermal paste and make sure my cooling solution was still tightly attached.

ethanthepro

Commendable
Jan 11, 2018

I have already done that. I had this same problem both before and after I did it. I put some arctic silver thermal paste on and the cooler is tightly on there.