Core Temps VS CPU temp

bwilliams83

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
I have a noobish question for everyone. I am a little confused.....
I have a AMD Phenon x6 1100t oc'd 4ghz. I have HWmonitor, Amd Overdire, Core Temp, AI Suite. All of these programs give me the cpu temps from the motherboard and core temps. Which should I pay attention to the Core Temps or CPU temp? There is almost a 8-9c difference between the two. HWmoniter has a section that shows my Motherboard with the CPU and MB temps. Then once I look further down it has AMD Phenon ii x6 1100t cores 0-5 with a temp reading.

temp.png

Solution

I said HW monitor is better because it gives you the temps of everything, not just the cpu. I never said it gave more accurate temps than other programs. You should always test with 3 different programs to determine the correct temps.

Yes it's very possible your cpu can idle 3c above ambient when your using a water cooler and your computer is on the floor. Heat rises so the floor can be up to 10c cooler than the ceiling, especially with a window open...

What makes you think the temps are incorrect my dear Watson?

HW monitor tells you the temps of EVERYTHING, even the hdd's. I stopped using CoreTemp cause it's out of date and doesn't even recognize my cpu.

Cygnus x-1

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
The cores are 21c in a 20c room? That right there should tell you HW monitor is reporting at least the cores incorrectly. He would need some serious cooling to idle just 1 degree over ambient room temperature. 30c for the cpu temp is believable, so tac on another 5c or so for the cores, give or take.

beenthere

Distinguished

Exactly. No CPU idles at ambient room temp. It's typical to run 7-10C above ambient for most CPUs at idle.

beenthere

Distinguished

I understand you are a fan of HW Monitor but it has been documented countless times that the temps it displays are often incorrect. I have never seen anyone with improper CPU readouts from Core Temp unless they had a bad internal CPU thermal sensor and then it was obvious.

Making things personal when someone disagrees with you serves no constructive purpose so please just stick to the topic. ;)

Except me, because CoreTemp doesn't even recognize my cpu at all.

I've compared HW monitor with speedfan and Coretemp on my old cpu and they all were the same, within 2c. Coretemp is slowly updated and doesn't recognize all new cpu's.

I took it personal? Really? Sounds like YOU took it personal.

Coretemp is great for telling you the temp of your cpu (in most cases, IF it recognizes your cpu properly), but HW Monitor keeps tabs on all your temperatures for ALL your components. Not only that, as long as you have it open, it tells you the max temps reached and minimum temps reached for those components during the entire time you had it open.

Coretemp doesn't do ANY of that. So I'll revert back to my original statement that upset you so much because you took it personally.

"FORGET CORETEMP. HW MONITOR IS 100X BETTER".

Anything else you feel like whining about?

bwilliams83

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Well here is the thing the core temps that HWmoniter are exactly the same numbers that core temp and speed fan is giving me. So if one sucks more than the other then why are the numbers a exact match between these three programs??? :D I will post screen shots when I get home.

bwilliams83

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Well here is the thing the core temps that HWmoniter are exactly the same numbers that core temp and speed fan is giving me. So if one sucks more than the other then why are the numbers a exact match between these three programs??? :D I will post screen shots when I get home.

beenthere

Distinguished
As I noted HW Monitor gives incorrect numbers on SOME CPUs not all. Core Temp seems to be fine.

Regardless of what software you use, your CPU idle temp will not be 1C above ambient so you probably have a bad CPU thermal sensor.

bwilliams83

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Not even with 2 x 230mm and 1- 140mm fan sucking air in with 1- 230mm fan and a corsair h50 with 2x 120mm push pull system give me a atleast a 3c diffence? Plus my rig is setting next to a window that stays cracked recieving cool fresh air at all times? Right now my room temp is 17c and my idle temps are 19-20c??

I said HW monitor is better because it gives you the temps of everything, not just the cpu. I never said it gave more accurate temps than other programs. You should always test with 3 different programs to determine the correct temps.

Yes it's very possible your cpu can idle 3c above ambient when your using a water cooler and your computer is on the floor. Heat rises so the floor can be up to 10c cooler than the ceiling, especially with a window open. Most room thermostats are at 5ft, if you were to put it on the floor you would see the temps would be vastly different.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS