Core to Core 2 Duo compatibility?

eroticsuitcase

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I just recently purchased a Core Duo based notebook, due to Turion X2 not exactly being all that I had hoped it would. One question that I do have is: with relatively little pain, will I be able to replace the chip on my notebook computer with the Core 2 Duo when it comes out? Is it possible?

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
No, different chipsets. Don't mistake the Core 2 Duo as being little different than Core Duo. They are radically different in terms of design and architecture. Core 2 Duo monikor was just taked on to the Conroe (desktop), Memron (Workstation/Server), and Yonah* (laptop) processor. Intel just got lazy and decided to lump them all under one name for marketing reasons.

* Not sure if I am confusing CPU names on the laptop processor.

eroticsuitcase

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
That is excellent news. So all I have to do is pull one out and toss the other one in there? What else would I have to do (as far as tweaking the registry)?

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
Depending on how forward thinking your notebook manufacturer is, you may also need a BIOS update for full recognization. In terms of registry, installing a new processor will most likely require you to reactivate your version of Windows. You should also be careful with cooling. If your current Core Duo is a 1.66GHz model you would obviously not want to put a 2.33GHz Core Duo 2 in it since the default cooling solution would probably be insufficient. Core Duo 2 Merom chips should be likely warmer than Yonah Core Duos at full load although the better power saving features in Merom should make average power usuage and heat roughly the same. All in all, a Yonah to Merom switch should be as painless as a notebook modification can be.

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
See ltcommander_data's comments above.... he makes wise comments... I was a little non-descript in my reply. They are drop-in compatible, but you will need to do a little research to ensure you don't screw things up.

In terms of reactivation, he is correct, the OS will recognize a new CPU -- this is OK, MS usually allows x number of changes before it starts to go -- hey wait then it will make you call the mother ship.

Jack
Woah.... That's like, totally deeeeeeep man.....

I heard that core 2 duo is lga 775 and merom is socket 480.

Yes, Conroe (Core 2 Duo) will be LGA775.

Merom will be pin compatible with Yonah. That means socket 479.

It has been suggested that Merom will be compatible with the Napa chipset which is currently being used for Intel Yonah since the Crestline chipset (part of the Santa Rose platform) will not be available until 2007. This limits the FSB to 667MHz for now. Crestline will boost the FSB to 800MHz, and have other additional features

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
I heard that core 2 duo is lga 775 and merom is socket 480.

Yes, Conroe (Core 2 Duo) will be LGA775.

Merom will be pin compatible with Yonah. That means socket 479.

It has been suggested that Merom will be compatible with the Napa chipset which is currently being used for Intel Yonah since the Crestline chipset (part of the Santa Rose platform) will not be available until 2007. This limits the FSB to 667MHz for now. Crestline will boost the FSB to 800MHz, and have other additional features Sorry i did'nt know. Btw if merom is gonna be socket 479 then will it lose some performance compared to conroe.